Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine-Powered "Sumoman" Being Released For Linux Today

Phoronix: Unigine-Powered "Sumoman" Being Released For Linux Today

There's a new Linux-friendly game launching today that's powered by the demanding Unigine Game Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks pretty terrible, tbh.

Comment

It's like Trine except with Sumo and none of the cool parts of Trine.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Looks pretty terrible, tbh.
        At first I shared that opinion, until I noticed later on that there can be quite some funny experiences in the game.

Comment

This game looks hilarious and pretty fun. I don't think it's supposed to be taken seriously. Like really, it's a platformer adventure game where you're playing as a mostly naked fat man where apparently you can reverse time. Nothing about that says "best indie game of 2017" or "a riveting experience with charming gameplay and a captivating plot". Saying something like this looks terrible is kind of like saying "I hated Transformers because it had such a terrible story" when the only reason you're supposed to watch it is to see cool cars turning into giant robots with funny names and then battle each other. That doesn't mean the movie is good, but saying it is bad means you failed to understand the purpose of it.

Comment

schmidtbag I literally meant it looks terrible. Fwiw, I've played fun games with questionable graphics before.

Comment

schmidtbag I literally meant it looks terrible. Fwiw, I've played fun games with questionable graphics before.
              But, it doesn't look terrible. Most of the graphics are actually pretty nice, when you consider this is an indie game. The only thing graphically off-putting is the character's animations, where some seem weirdly out-of-sync. But that's also part of what makes the game funny.

Comment

Imho, if you've seen what this engine can do (e.g. Unigine Valley), this game looks pretty terrible.

Comment

Imho, if you've seen what this engine can do (e.g. Unigine Valley), this game looks pretty terrible.
                  Valley is a showcase of what Unigine can do - of course it looks nice, or else how is it supposed to convince anyone to use Unigine? Valley also demands intensive hardware and had a decent amount of financial backing to make it a reality.

So sure, Sumoman absolutely could look better, but considering the situation, it still looks nice (again, except for the weird character animations). It's a casual game, and casual games should be playable on crappy hardware.

Comment

Working...
                  X