GNOME's GTK Gets Gtef'ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    Are text editor really so complicated that it's worth making an entire framework for them?
    If you just want a text editor, then no. But if you want yet another bloated GUI IDE, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

There are better ways to handle that than "refuse to load". One of the editors I routinely use will open the file in read-only mode if it detects editing would slow it down. And then you may (knowingly) force it to go into edit mode.
      But in the GTK world, someone, somewhere knows better. You're just presented the solution and expected to deal with it.
      Yup, Gnome Toolkit: the Freedom Subtracted software brought to you by the Freedom Subtracted King, Richard "You may only use your code as I see fit" Stallman.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

If you just want a text editor, then no. But if you want yet another bloated GUI IDE, then yes.
        Speaking of (relatively) new bloated GUI IDE's, I recommend Atom if you're finding your development environment too responsive for your productivity level. lol

Comment

I have deliberately opened executable binary files in Emacs, made changes to them, and had them still work.
          That's because Emacs must integrate some hex editor functionality too, being it a nearly self-aware software.

Text editors may or may not pull that off correctly, as it's not what they were supposed to do in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
            Yup, Gnome Toolkit: the Freedom Subtracted software brought to you by the Freedom Subtracted King, Richard "You may only use your code as I see fit" Stallman.
            And Stallman is related in what way to GNOME or GTK again? The choice of license is their founder's resposibility only.

Comment

IDEs made with these frameworks are orders of magnitude less bullshit than others written in Java, Python, PHP/Javascript or whatever other technology, just by virtue of being written in C++.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                That's because Emacs must integrate some hex editor functionality too, being it a nearly self-aware software.
                I did that directly in the binary.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  IDEs made with these frameworks are orders of magnitude less bullshit than others written in Java, Python, PHP/Javascript or whatever other technology, just by virtue of being written in C++.
                  How many layers of C++?

Does Visual Studio Code count as “less bullshit”?

Comment

I did that directly in the binary.
                    Hex editors can show binary too, btw. The name is generic for any software that can be used to see and edit a binary file without fucking it up with line termination or whatever other invisible (formatting) ASCII characters text editors usually add to text files without you even noticing.

Comment

How many layers of C++?
                      You can do wrong with C++ too, but it is usually harder than doing well in Java/Javascript/Python/other interpreted languages.

Does Visual Studio Code count as “less bullshit”?
                      Yeah, it does. Even if it is in javascript it runs much better than average for an IDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X