Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's GTK Gets Gtef'ed

Phoronix: GNOME's GTK Gets Gtef'ed

Gtef is short for the GTK+ Text Editor Framework and makes it easier to develop text editors and IDEs with GNOME's toolkit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For a moment there I thought you said gtfo'd.

Comment

There are things I don't understand. From the linked blog entry:

And I would like to add more features: refuse to load very long lines (it is not well supported by GtkTextView)
      That is not a feature. That is a workaround at best. A feature would be: "Text editors built using Gtef are allowed to load very long lines."

Comment

Originally posted by zeehio View Post
        A feature would be: "Text editors built using Gtef are allowed to load very long lines."
        Not in the GTK world. It's a very Apple-like world.

Comment

Originally posted by zeehio View Post
          There are things I don't understand. From the linked blog entry:

That is not a feature. That is a workaround at best. A feature would be: "Text editors built using Gtef are allowed to load very long lines."
          Whatever you call it, it would be helpful to prevent your text editor from locking up or being utterly slow.

Comment

I would like to see support for Python 3 type hints and PHP 7 type hints in GtkSourceView.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

Whatever you call it, it would be helpful to prevent your text editor from locking up or being utterly slow.
              There are better ways to handle that than "refuse to load". One of the editors I routinely use will open the file in read-only mode if it detects editing would slow it down. And then you may (knowingly) force it to go into edit mode.
              But in the GTK world, someone, somewhere knows better. You're just presented the solution and expected to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

Then just give a warning telling the user that the file is huge, instead of blocking him of opening the file. Anyway, what should i expect from the gnome world, after 6 years of gnome 3 development can't even make a desktop that is usable without 2-3 extensions.
                Last edited by Gapil301; 24 March 2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but why? Are text editor really so complicated that it's worth making an entire framework for them?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    There are better ways to handle that than "refuse to load". One of the editors I routinely use will open the file in read-only mode if it detects editing would slow it down. And then you may (knowingly) force it to go into edit mode.
                    But in the GTK world, someone, somewhere knows better. You're just presented the solution and expected to deal with it.
                    So if you know loading the file locks up the app, the obvious solution according to you would be to still load the file in readonly mode? Because hey, surely this time it shouldn't lock up right?

Your suggestion is plainly insane. Thankfully the developers know better than listening to people who have no fucking clue.

Comment

Working...
                    X