AMD Open-Sources Vulkan "Anvil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I can only think of one thing called AMDGPU.
    AMDGPU kernel driver, modesetting driver, LLVM compiler.

Comment

Why the "runtime GLSL to SPIR-V conversion"?
      That should be done at compile time and not blot the runtime with compilers! Didn't we learn anything form OpenGL?

Comment

Probably to ease porting of OpenGL apps that generate their GLSL shaders on the fly. Just feed it with SPIR-V blobs if you don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by triangle View Post
          That should be done at compile time and not blot the runtime with compilers! Didn't we learn anything form OpenGL?
          I totally agree with the sentiment. People blame stuttering on the drivers, but really it's the retarded decisions like compiling GLSL on the fly that is squarely at fault here. There are things that drivers can do to reduce the impact of retarded engine designs, but drivers can't fix retarded engine designs.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I totally agree with the sentiment. People blame stuttering on the drivers, but really it's the retarded decisions like compiling GLSL on the fly that is squarely at fault here. There are things that drivers can do to reduce the impact of retarded engine designs, but drivers can't fix retarded engine designs.
            Hell yea I'm going to blame the drivers. Here:

I'm always looking for ways to make the stutter visible in the GALLIUM_HUD. This time I hacked a low-fps graph together wich you can see in the same pane as the fps graph in that screenshot. It takes the slowest frame time in the period and displays that as 1/slowest_frametime in the graph. Here is the patch: https://github.com/ChristophHaag/mes...2b0c29aca910d7

As you can see, it drops below 60 fps constantly even when average fps aren't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              Hell yea I'm going to blame the drivers. Here:

I'm always looking for ways to make the stutter visible in the GALLIUM_HUD. This time I hacked a low-fps graph together wich you can see in the same pane as the fps graph in that screenshot. It takes the slowest frame time in the period and displays that as 1/slowest_frametime in the graph. Here is the patch: https://github.com/ChristophHaag/mes...2b0c29aca910d7

As you can see, it drops below 60 fps constantly even when average fps aren't that bad.
              You can blame what you want I guess. But the real question is why is that stutter happening? If it's because the game is compiling shaders on the fly then there is nothing any driver can do about that. It can only reduce the impact of it and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

They can call it whatever the hell they want. It's an open source project.
                It seems that many open-source projects have weird names as the creators were probably joyful that they can call it whatever they want. That is why one day, I want to write a software called "Orgasm", whatever this program will be, if I ever learn to code.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

No one give's a rat's a$$ that Intel's code name for their Vulkan driver is Anvil.
                Well, the earlier replies to this topic already proved that people really do "give a rat's a$$ about it.

Comment

Oh no. Thay can't use that name. Anvil is the name of the offical graphic editor for Marathon Infinity!

(iirc)

Comment

Working...
                  X