Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Wayland Is Next Appearing On Tractors & Farm Equipment

Phoronix: Qt Wayland Is Next Appearing On Tractors & Farm Equipment

With Qt 5.8's Qt Wayland Compositor Framework taking shape, more developers are beginning to tailor a Qt Wayland compositor to their use-cases. One of those is a company specializing in farm equipment like combine harvesters, tractors, and harvesters...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So cool. In a couple years I might be eating lentils harvested with Wayland. ;- )

Comment

Its funny to think about advanced/graphically intensive computing interfaces in farming equipment, but with prices in the $400,000(https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/e...bines/t-series) and above for this type of equipment, I would HOPE that it has a nice user interface, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Its funny to think about advanced/graphically intensive computing interfaces in farming equipment, but with prices in the $400,000(https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/e...bines/t-series) and above for this type of equipment, I would HOPE that it has a nice user interface, lol.
        On one hand we know bulls aren't dragging plows through the mud anymore, but on the other it's still hard to think of how modern farming really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

On one hand we know bulls aren't dragging plows through the mud anymore, but on the other it's still hard to think of how modern farming really is.
          Heh , welcome to Norway then. Here at my farm we still carry buckets of water to the sheeps, and about 20 years ago when I was a tad slimmer and actually had hair on my head everything was manual... cutting grass by hand, moving it home by tractor, loading it in bags by hand, carrying the bags by hand to the sheeps and cows and feed them. Clean up their poop, put clean straw in the animal pen so they can rest dry, vaccinate them, milk them, fix fences, shear the sheeps, etc etc.... yup! modern farming is overrated

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

For that price I'd even demand Doom running in case i want to kill daemons while harvesting mah wheat field lol
            I wonder if there's a source port of doom for wayland

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Heh , welcome to Norway then. Here at my farm we still carry buckets of water to the sheeps, and about 20 years ago when I was a tad slimmer and actually had hair on my head everything was manual... cutting grass by hand, moving it home by tractor, loading it in bags by hand, carrying the bags by hand to the sheeps and cows and feed them. Clean up their poop, put clean straw in the animal pen so they can rest dry, vaccinate them, milk them, fix fences, shear the sheeps, etc etc.... yup! modern farming is overrated
              I used to help a farmer that was near my house when i was a child. There's no perfect life style but after living 20 years in the suburbs I miss the simple yet fulfilling life of a farmer.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of farm equipment is computer-controlled these days. Computers are much better at following regular, pre-defined, linear routes for long periods of time than humans are, and that is what is needed in the massive corporate farms that dominate today. That was even the case 25 years ago when I visited a big corporate farm.

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post

For that price I'd even demand Doom running in case i want to kill daemons while harvesting mah wheat field lol
                  I wonder if there's a source port of doom for wayland
                  Forget the navigation computers, many of these things are more than big enough for you to put a good-sized entertainment system in it.

Comment

Back when i was a kid; automation on a farm was a reflection of the owners personality and desires. That was nearly 40 years ago, many of the farmers back then where actually college educated engineers. The publics image of farming simply doesnt jive with reality, it is technology driven like most businesses. I would not be surprised to find farmers today writing their own Arduino code.

Comment

Working...
                    X