Khronos Clarifies That Vulkan Multi-GPU Isn't Limited To Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Clarifies That Vulkan Multi-GPU Isn't Limited To Windows 10

Phoronix: Khronos Clarifies That Vulkan Multi-GPU Isn't Limited To Windows 10

With the big Vulkan 1.0.42 update came a number of new extensions, including for Vulkan multi-GPU/device support. There was some confusion by some that Vulkan's multi-GPU support was limited to Windows 10, but that is not at all the case...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How did people get that impression?

Comment

I think I saw something on youtube (could have been Linus Tech Tips) about WDDM/Win10 multi-gpu, and the inference of it being windows 10 exclusive. Microsoft won't want it getting down to Win7 owners though, pretty sure they will find a way to keep that from happening.

Comment

Wonderful, so developers can choose to use LDA and lock Vulkan to Windows 10? That can only end well

Comment

considering how multi-gpu is as good as broken on anything that is not Windows, it might as well just be Windows-exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            considering how multi-gpu is as good as broken on anything that is not Windows, it might as well just be Windows-exclusive.
            Do you have something to share about Vulkan multi-GPU experience? I mean, not about OpenGL/DirectX multi-GPU with Catalyst on RadeonHD experience (or similar obsolete tech from Nvidia's side) that is irrelevant there.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              Wonderful, so developers can choose to use LDA and lock Vulkan to Windows 10? That can only end well
              No, even the clarifications are a bit confusing. LDA does not lock into Windows 10, it is also available on W7 and W8 (as is WDDM).

As far as I understand the only real thing is that on Windows, WDDM is necessary. But not on Linux (where that doesn't exist).

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
                I think I saw something on youtube (could have been Linus Tech Tips) about WDDM/Win10 multi-gpu, and the inference of it being windows 10 exclusive. Microsoft won't want it getting down to Win7 owners though, pretty sure they will find a way to keep that from happening.
                thing is unlike Apple with Mac OSX, Microsoft does not exert tight control over what IHVs choose to do using their graphics drivers. That's the reason we even have Vulkan working on 3 different versions of windows (win7, win8, win10), because AMD, Intel and Nvidia chose to ship drivers and get it working. Similarly if they decide they want to get Vulkan multigpu working on win7 nobody will stop them from implementing that feature in their driver.

Comment

The developer still needs to enable multigpu for it to work. So long as this is a required action by the developer and not an automatic feature provided for all games, it is no better than SLI/Crossfire and the games I have been playing recently on both Windows and Linux aren't enabled for SLI/Crossfire and Vulcan isn't providing a solution to that, which is disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

The developer still needs to enable multigpu for it to work. So long as this is a required action by the developer and not an automatic feature provided for all games, it is no better than SLI/Crossfire and the games I have been playing recently on both Windows and Linux aren't enabled for SLI/Crossfire and Vulcan isn't providing a solution to that, which is disappointing.
                    Initially I thought very similar, but now I've changed my mind after reading more about it. It seems like the way loads are spread across GPU's is very dependant on load. There is no possible way to make a generic method. It must be done at the game engine level because that is where information about the load is.
                    Last edited by duby229; 22 March 2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X