Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At The Changes & New Features Of GNOME 3.24

Phoronix: A Look At The Changes & New Features Of GNOME 3.24

With GNOME 3.24 due to be released next week, I've spent some time trying out the latest, near-final packages using Fedora Rawhide. The experience has been good and from my initial impressions it appears to be another reliable update to the GNOME Shell experience. Here are some screenshots and a recap of the new features and changes for this six-month update to this open-source desktop environment.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Things which are not working on Gnome 3.22 and which I want to be fixed in 3.24 are:
    1. Mutter hangs a lot even on a R9 280 on Dual 4k+1440p monitor setup, even with AMDGPU kernel driver. The animations in general on the desktop are very stuttery. This isn't the case with a cheapo Nvidia 210 GPU on a 1080p monitor.
    2. There needs to be per monitor DPI and fractional scaling. 4k on 28" makes things too small. It should be possible on Wayland.
    3. My Qnix QX2710 secondary monitor works perfectly on X11 in vertical mode but on Wayland the vertical mode makes the screen dark/causes artifacts, but works fine in horizontal mode. I have no idea if this is a monitor specific problem. I have opened a bug report for the same but it has had no activity: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777815

Comment

>want to be fixed in 3.24
      I meant 3.24 or later versions. Edit isn't working on mobile.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        there is a "Night Ligt" mode in GNOME 3.24.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Typo:

Fixed, thanks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Science has proven about warmer/bluer colors at night are recommended for helping avoid eye strain and sleeplessness.
            I assume you meant warmer/redder colors? Also I assume the word "about" is a typo and should be omitted?

Comment

I think I still prefer Redshift to Gnome's own solution when it comes to color temperature programs. It simply gives you more info and options.

Comment

You forgot Calendar : week view and drag n drop events to reschedule them. The new Recipes application (ah ah ah). Photos : editing improvements (new exposure and blacks tools), show GPS location information.

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
                  Things which are not working on Gnome 3.22 and which I want to be fixed in 3.24 are:
                  1. Mutter hangs a lot even on a R9 280 on Dual 4k+1440p monitor setup, even with AMDGPU kernel driver. The animations in general on the desktop are very stuttery. This isn't the case with a cheapo Nvidia 210 GPU on a 1080p monitor.
                  2. There needs to be per monitor DPI and fractional scaling. 4k on 28" makes things too small. It should be possible on Wayland.
                  3. My Qnix QX2710 secondary monitor works perfectly on X11 in vertical mode but on Wayland the vertical mode makes the screen dark/causes artifacts, but works fine in horizontal mode. I have no idea if this is a monitor specific problem. I have opened a bug report for the same but it has had no activity: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777815
                  For me, full Wayland support is the only thing i wish to see.
                  I don't use Gnome, but it's definitely doing a good job on that department and i hope it manages to end it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

For me, full Wayland support is the only thing i wish to see.
                    I don't use Gnome, but it's definitely doing a good job on that department and i hope it manages to end it soon.
                    I use Gnome on wayland everyday. It's not perfect but good, light year ahead of kde.
                    For me Gnome won this generation of DE, previosly kde 3&4>gnome 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X