Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBDEV Is Still Chugging Along With Linux 4.11

Phoronix: FBDEV Is Still Chugging Along With Linux 4.11

It's going on five years since there was the call for deprecating FBDEV within the mainline Linux kernel and various ongoing efforts to get more drivers to making use of the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) rather than FBDEV. But with Linux 4.11, FBDEV still remains in place...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it works, and it's really easy to write an fbdev driver for dumb devices. I see no reason to drop it as long as it doesn't get in the way of bigger structural changes.

Comment

Can anyone explain to me what goes on during boot when fbdev or vesa gets loaded, then another driver loads and these other two unload? On QEMU with UEFI vesa doesn't work far as I understand, but some distro do not seem to support fbdev(X log says module could not be found/loaded).

So for example cirrus, vitrio_gpu, vga(bochs_drm) might be the video device kernel driver, module gets loaded and it's fb driver takes over vesafb(? not sure what BIOS uses)/efifb, then fbdev or vesa would load, perhaps with modesetting before glamor tries to initialize(failing because DRI2 is not supported and falling back to software raster rendering). There seems to be two vesa, one that segfaults when initializing glamoregl and another that would have a problem addressing V_BIOS memory(xf86-video-vesa module I think).

Comment

fbdev is still used for hyper-v guests

Comment

Michael, the guy's name is Bartłomiej Żołnierkiewicz.

Comment

Originally posted by flecht View Post
            Uh, and some people have a problem to pronounce Benedict Cumberbatch but this guy is in a total different league

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Uh, and some people have a problem to pronounce Benedict Cumberbatch but this guy is in a total different league
              I already have trouble pronouncing Micheal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                I don't find hard to pronounce "bartlomiei zolnierkevicz" (kinda how I pronounce it), nor "benedict cumberbatch".

I must be a superhuman being.

(and no I'm not from Poland or something)

Comment

Originally posted by flecht View Post
                  On my US* keyboard: capital-b, a, r, t, compose-l-slash, o, m, i, e, j, space, compose-capital-z-dot, o, compose-l-slash,n, i, e, r, k, i, e, w, i, c, z. What could be simpler?

And I have no trouble with “Binali Yıldırım” either.

*’cos that’s what we use in NZ.

Comment

Working...
                  X