Raspberry Pi Zero W Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    All RPis use standard U-Boot and mainline kernels (4.10).
    You can't have a fully functional Arm based SoC with just a vanilla kernel.
    The kernel does not have all necessary infra to handle all I/O that's pretty different from PC's.
    Remember how many *years* it took to get CEC support in the kernel? Or just emmc-rpmb?

I remember the time that Net-BSD was called to run on almost every system. And I can tell you how that worked on my HP-9000 and on my DEC: you downloaded the net-bsd kernel using the serial cable and booted it, and you could just communicate with net-bsd using that serial cable.

Anyway: if we look at the odroid U3, which should have vanilla kernel support, you still don't have access to the image rotator, because the kernel does not have infra structure for layered drm, and patches to do so have been rejected. At least the v4l-m2m infra was accepted years ago, so encoders and decoders conforming to that standard can be used from gstreamer.

Comment

Also the other boards are more expensive. RPi Zero is $5 shipped, with VAT.
      Please, tell me where can you get Zeros shipped for $5, because I need to buy a couple of them.

Comment

To me, USB 3 would be infinitely more useful than Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          The Zero is available from a bunch of official distributors. Availability has been pretty good in the last half year or so. If you want a Pi Zero, there are plenty of chances to buy one in Europe or the US.
          Do you have a US distributor that actually sells them at a reasonable price? Those I found that claim to sell them for $5 charge $10-$20 "shipping and handling". For a delivered price of $15 to $25, I can get much better hardware.

Comment

it runs the fastest ARMv7 or ARM64 instruction set.
            there's a GPU booting from a FAT partition with closed bootloaders.
            No eMMC,
            That was funny, you sneaky bastard! Couldn't have satirised Rpi Zero (or the original) better myself

Comment

People are quick to forget that CHIP exists.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
                It's vaporware anyway, i've never been able to actually buy a Zero.
                I walked into a microcenter last December and bought 2 of them.

Comment

Will you actually be able to buy this one? Never got my hands on a zero :/

Comment

Also the other boards are more expensive. RPi Zero is $5 shipped, with VAT. It's cheap. No other computer costs that little. Orange Pi boards have $3 shipping costs and huge VAT and customs duties from China. And the shipping takes 30 business days. NanoPi is hugely more expensive.

Also they don't have any kind of mainline support. RPi Zero has been supported since kernel 2.4 and it runs the fastest ARMv7 or ARM64 instruction set. The cheap clones (which are all ARMv6) won't be supported for 10 years. Also booting the clones requires huge amounts of closed source firmware. Can you imagine their platform is so backwards that there's a GPU booting from a FAT partition with closed bootloaders. No eMMC, no SPI flash, just FAT formatted corruption prone SD. That's ridiculous but that's what you get when you DON'T buy RPi. All RPis use standard U-Boot and mainline kernels (4.10).
                    Sweet Googlily moogily, you almost had me. Epic troll. Invert every statement and you have reality.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

Do you have a US distributor that actually sells them at a reasonable price? Those I found that claim to sell them for $5 charge $10-$20 "shipping and handling". For a delivered price of $15 to $25, I can get much better hardware.
                      Huh, is it really that bad in the US? In Europe, Pimoroni and ThePiHut ship for 4 pound (around 5 USD) to most countries. Not cheap but pretty okay for fast shipping.

Comment

Working...
                      X