Arch Linux Rolls Out Mesa GLVND Support To Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
    There seems to be a little confusion as to the purpose of GLVND. What it does is dispatch GL commands to the appropriate GL driver according to what is providing your X(/Wayland?) screen. This means you can have different screens/outputs running with a different GL stack, which was previously impossible. Or simply not have to worry about which GL stack is configured and have it just work.
    So glvnd can't dispatch to a specific GL implementation on a per-application basis? And is this a current limitation or will it always be like that? I always thought the end goal of glvnd is per-application dispatching. So that, for example, the gl compositor goes to mesa i965 but a particular game goes to the nvidia blob, without the need to run a second X server for the game.
    Last edited by Gusar; 28 February 2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      The AMDPU-PRO crap doesn't still support xorg-server 1.19. New driver, old problems.
      Is it even need to?

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        So glvnd can't dispatch to a specific GL implementation on a per-application basis? And is this a current limitation or will it always be like that? I always thought the end goal of glvnd is per-application dispatching. So that, for example, the gl compositor goes to mesa i965 but a particular game goes to the nvidia blob, without the need to run a second X server for the game.
        That's what PRIME does. Of course it won't work unless both drivers support PRIME/DMA_BUF. That the NVIDIA proprietary driver doesn't is something you'll have to take up with them. Since GLVND allows the driver stacks to co-exist, it should, in theory make it more feasible for them to support DMA_BUF, maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Yes it is if you need damn OpenCL.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

1,799.00 usd for a 15 inch monitor, great.
            mine cost me 400€ XD

(Alienware M15X R1, of course XD. optimus free )

Comment

Yes it is if you need damn OpenCL.
              Even if you run installer with --compute option?

Comment

Even if you run installer with --compute option?
                Which installer? You posted a random link to something which has *nothing* to do with AMDGPU PRO and now you are talking about what? Did you think that "adding" xf86-video-amdgpu to the proprietary driver will magically free you from the <=xorg-server-1.18 requirement? It doesn't.
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  If nvidia would really want to make Linux users life easier, they would do open source kernel driver.
                  If I understand correctly, they use 3rd party licensed code and technologies. Open sourcing everything would get them in legal trouble.

What they can and should do is sponsor nouveau through hardware donations and direct money donations.

Comment

Which installer?
                    Latest AMDGPU-PRO.

Comment

Latest AMDGPU-PRO.
                      That's exactly the point: you *have* to use AMDGPU PRO in order to use OpenCL, but you cannot use AMDGPU-PRO because of missing xorg-server-1.19 support.
                      ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                      X