Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GStreamer Now Supports Multi-Threaded Scaling/Conversion For Big Performance Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimon View Post

The rust compiler you're referring to is just a frontend to LLVM, got it now? Even if you're not doing a full bootstrap, CC(X) is still required for building a few C/C++ components and linking.
    I'm not sure about that. It seems more like they use some functions it provides, but with the intention to replace them in the future. I'll agree that it may not qualify as a full bootstrap.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'm not sure about that. It seems more like they use some functions it provides, but with the intention to replace them in the future. I'll agree that it may not qualify as a full bootstrap.
      OMG, are you resistant to factual info? All Rust does is simply generate llvm IR that is fed to LLVM. No one is going to replace it, the best you can hope for is an alternative compiler implementation.

Comment

if you can't think and can't read source, read wikipedia ffs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(...mming_language) don't miss ) at the end of url
        rustc
        uses LLVM as its back end

Comment

btw, rustc was indeed "bootstrapped and rewritten in rust". original llvm frontend was written in ocaml. you see, they rewrote not c++, but another toy language. i call it toy languages bloodbath
          Last edited by pal666; 24 February 2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            if you can't think and can't read source, read wikipedia ffs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(...mming_language) don't miss ) at the end of url
            rustc
            uses LLVM as its back end

Ok, I found a link which helps me out. So maybe Ive been misunderstanding. But I still think it's unfair to say the compiler was written in c++, when in fact the compiler was written in Rust. You also can't say it's a front end either, because in fact LLVM is used to generate machine code, but Rust, which is written in Rust, compiles to LLVM-IR. I think that's fair.

Comment

So maybe Ive been misunderstanding.
              maybe?
              But I still think it's unfair to say the compiler was written in c++, when in fact the compiler was written in Rust.
              compiler frontend is written in rust. compiler backend is written in c++ and backend is larger. so most of compiler is written in c++. in other words compiler is written in c++ more than it is written in rust
              You also can't say it's a front end either, because in fact LLVM is used to generate machine code, but Rust, which is written in Rust, compiles to LLVM-IR. I think that's fair.
              you said some nonsense. frontend is that thing which compiles to llvm-ir. backend is thing which generates machine code.

so, can we now stop asking people to rewrite their software in rust until rust devs rewrite (all of)their compiler in rust?
              Last edited by pal666; 24 February 2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

no, it is a dependency to compile bundled llvm. if rust does not need llvm, for which arches can it generate code lol?
                You clearly have absolutely no clue. Rust has a dependency on C++ to build the COMPILER and on llvm to RUN THE COMPILER. Binaries compiled from Rust source code don't require either. Ergo: a hypothetical rewrite of GStreamer in Rust would *NOT* mean that GStreamer would suddenly start depending on LLVM.

Comment

so, can we now stop asking people to rewrite their software in rust until rust devs rewrite (all of)their compiler in rust?
                  Why does this matter to you? Is GLSL a toy language because GLSL compilers aren't written in GLSL?

The whole point of LLVM is to be a generalized compiler framework that lots of different languages can use.

Comment

LOL
                    Michael
                    Why on earth is this posted in Gnome??

Comment

nobody except first comment in this thread
                      And now you're not even a funny troll, just an utter liar.

Comment

Working...
                      X