DRM Updates Submitted For Linux 4.11, Torvalds Explodes Over Code Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r
    Linus is such a jerk and doesn't give a damn about desktop users. This guys owes me 15 years of my life, I hate him. Poor Dave, I would quit my job. Torvalds always trolls on code that endusers would benefit from, he already bullied Con enough that he had to quit in 2007, and we are stuck with kernel scheduler that does ok on 1024 cpu machine but quickly pegs 100% iowait on a desktop when copying a file from usb/sdcard. Linus...KYS, nobody likes you.
    https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_4.10...2c71a859dcc184

did you try that? Also, that is not the cpu scheduler's fault when i/o is concerned.

Personally i think Linus makes the right decisions, as they prevent technical debt increase in the future. Not merging some dubious code now means that next time it comes up, it will be in much better shape and less end users will complain about build issues or instability.

Comment

To be fair, it's not really new or surprising that Linus hates last-minute commits. The tinydrm stuff *did* land rather late

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post

Code:
        struct drm_gem_object * tinydrm_gem_cma_prime_import_sg_table(struct drm_device *drm, struct dma_buf_attachment *attach, struct sg_table *sgt) { .....
        Why use pointers in a memory constrained function or object like the kernel?
        Do you know what's in those structures? I don't. If they are large, this may make sense. In any case, pointers on the stack are basically irrelevant for memory usage. Not to mention that they could be pointing to objects on the stack as well …

Comment

Totally agree with Linus on this one. Somebody needs to stand up and call it as it is. You can't go all lovey dovey when it's this bad. If it's good and accepted, you get thanks by having code in the kernel.

Comment

When I saw for the first time one of these Linus responses, I was really surprised that people continued working with him. But then I went to the source, the mailing lists, followed the conversations, and discovered that he usually starts very polite, like everyone would do, and only changes to this kind of language when the other people, instead of recognizing the error, continues to try to justify him/her self.

Comment

Looking into the current kernel git I see that drm pull request got merged:
              commit ef96152e6a36e0510387cb174178b7982c1ae879
              Merge: d5500a074741 64a577196d66
              Author: Linus Torvalds <[email protected]>
              Date: Thu Feb 23 18:58:18 2017 -0800

Merge tag 'drm-for-v4.11-less-shouty' of git://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux

Pull drm updates from Dave Airlie:
              "This is the main drm pull request for v4.11.

Comment

Before you all start whining that Linus is shouting or an idiot, ask yourself if you ever contributed a single line of code to the Linux?

Comment

This kind of ranting isn't always bad for developers. Sometimes it helps them stand against bad management decision - as in "I know we have a deadline, but Linus won't merge it, and there's nothing we can do about it."

Comment

Originally posted by fulalas View Post
                    Linus has a really bad approach yelling like a spoiled child -- and this is not the first or second time he did it. Of course good code is desirable, but it's made by group thinking and collaboration, not threatenings. A lot of people contributes to Linux OS because they believe in it, because they love it or simply because they want to help. Although these things maybe not enough, it's not behaving like Linus that we'll get things better.
                    Collaboration is highly overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
                      This kind of ranting isn't always bad for developers. Sometimes it helps them stand against bad management decision - as in "I know we have a deadline, but Linus won't merge it, and there's nothing we can do about it."
                      they can always roll their own kernel. and yet linus's tree stays mainstream. probably due to his good management.

Comment

Working...
                      X