Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Stages New Drivers In Linux 4.11 Kernel

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Stages New Drivers In Linux 4.11 Kernel

Greg KH sent out his Linux 4.11 pull requests today for the different areas of the Linux kernel he maintains, including the staging area updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For a moment i thought i was looking at the Raspberry 4 announcement...

Comment

Yay! This probably cements the RaspberryPi as being the most upstream friendly low cost ARM board. Most of the competitors are stuck on some ancient kernels due to blobs and crappy drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        For a moment i thought i was looking at the Raspberry 4 announcement...
        http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardw...rry-pi-gets-ai

I'm still waiting for more news about free firmware for the RPi. Seems that there is some progress...: https://blog.rosenzweig.io/blobless-...on-the-pi.html

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          Yay! This probably cements the RaspberryPi as being the most upstream friendly low cost ARM board. Most of the competitors are stuck on some ancient kernels due to blobs and crappy drivers.
          How so? The Allwinner chips have an active community and many boards are supported in mainline. The ODROID boards are all working on or at mainline. Heck, the XU-4 just dropped $15 in price and is running 4.9 and LTS is promised.

I'll take crappy drivers over crappy hardware. At least you have a chance of fixing hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

How so? The Allwinner chips have an active community and many boards are supported in mainline. The ODROID boards are all working on or at mainline. Heck, the XU-4 just dropped $15 in price and is running 4.9 and LTS is promised.

I'll take crappy drivers over crappy hardware. At least you have a chance of fixing hardware.
            What? Allwinner? Really? Dude!...

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
              How so? The Allwinner chips have an active community and many boards are supported in mainline....
              Ahahaha..... echo "rootmydevice" > /proc/sunxi_debug/sunxi_debug
              Allwinner, that was funny Their Mali graphics is so far from being supported in the kernel, that it must be a joke...

Comment

RPi is currently using 4.4 something. How long until it's using the benefits of the things going into 4.11?

Comment

Working...
                X