Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs Shipping 2 March, Pre-Order Today

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs Shipping 2 March, Pre-Order Today

AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs are available for pre-ordering today and these long-awaited "Zen" CPUs will be shipping on 2 March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

some waiting here just build myself 3x AMD FX 8300 systems, maybe later on ill try to get hold on it !!! But yes HAPPY release DAY to AMD team.....

Comment

I was this close to build an Intel based system a month ago, when I read about Ryzen (AMD was in my ignore list for a long time now), but since then, I'm so waiting for real world tests, because it looks very interesting and promising. Based on what we know right now, I'd say R7 1700 is an optimal decision, probably even R5 1500 will be enough. Based on pure specs not that big of a difference in clock speed at least. But yeah, it all put on pause everything... too bad new vega graphics only scheduled for May, can't wait that long

Comment

Thanks for the update and tip sent. I have 6 computers working on computational quantum mechanics and am curious to know how Ryzen fares with DGEMM.

Comment

Originally posted by wazoo42 View Post
          Thanks for the update and tip sent. I have 6 computers working on computational quantum mechanics and am curious to know how Ryzen fares with DGEMM.
          Thanks! Will be sure to run HPC Challenge on it. Any other tests you'd like to see?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If Ryzen is going to be of interest to me, it will need good single thread performance. From the AMD charts it looks like the 1700 won't be much of match to the i7 in that regard. The higher end models seem better. I'm looking forward to some actual numbers.

Comment

The R7 1700 seems like the sweet spot for me as well. For compiling and VMs I actually care more about more threads.

@AMD send Phoronix some samples please! I'm really only waiting for Linux benchmarks before I make a purchase. (or decide to go Intel).

Comment

I cannot recommend ever pre-ordering a CPU before non-leaked benchmarks have come out. Looks promising as hell though, I've been following all the leaks on Zen for a couple of years now.

Comment

The single core performance is gonna be disastrous and the benchmarks won't reflect what they presented in their slides, I guarantee it.

Comment

I noticed in kernel 4.10 there were Ryzen patches added.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that mean lower versions of the kernel (i.e used by Ubuntu, debian, opensuse, etc) will not Ryzen or will have a worse experience?

i.e say you buy one on release day should you aim to run a rolling release distro only which will have that kernel version?

Comment

Working...
                    X