AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs Shipping 2 March, Pre-Order Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    The time to invest in stocks is when it's low, not when it's nearing it's peak. The smart investors bought stocks a year ago and will dump them just before release day, not because Ryzen is bad, but because it can't live up to the expectations.
    LMAO, first of all, if you knew when a stock was going to peak, you wouldn't be here, you'd be on your private jet flying to your private island. But you're not. Because you don't.

Yes many buy on hype and sell on launch, that's true. The smart money did buy AMD a year ago (sitting on a few thousand shares myself, bought in Feb 2016 at $1.88) but the even smarter money knows that AMD topped $40 per share after both their previous CPU market wins. $40+ in 2000 after many winning quarters of Athlon revenue, and $40+ again in 2006 after many winning quarters of Athlon64 and Opteron revenue. Their goal with Zen was 40% IPC improvement, but they exceeded expectations and got even better. Plus Zen is hitting right at a time when intel has gotten lazy and slow. A product that exceeds expectations + great market timing = winner winner. AMD will be touching $40 a share by 2020, you can bet on it - I certainly am.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 23 February 2017, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Hi yall,

I have pre-ordered a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU, with a ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 motherboard.

Previously got some DDR4 3200.

Roll on weekend of March 4th & 5th.

Some of us still recall the days of AMD releasing white box only K7's, thanks to Intel bully tactics. No retreat baby, no surrender....

GreekGeek

#abouttoupgradegeekgrin:-D

Comment

Originally posted by B.Jay View Post
        - Need to issue any obscure kernel parameters to boot up Linux properly. I.e. on most of the FX8xxx based system I dealt with in the past they all required either "iommu=pt,noaperture" and/or "amd_iommu=on" to make Linux behave ... read: avoid "AMD-Vi" related errors keeping things like USB 3.0 root hubs (mostly VIA and NEC chips in my observation), Realtek audio/network chips, Nvidia proprietary driver et al from working.

<snip>

- System monitoring (fans, temps et al) ... on the 970/990 chipset boards it has always been a nightmare to whip up a sensors3.conf because of a "how ya doin'" implementation of the monitoring chips (Gigabyte with their multiplexed integration of Winbond/ITE chips was world-leader in making it the utmost pain to use their boards with Linux, followed by ASRock and their choice of NCT6xxx chips). And yes, I mean just the hardware sensors chip... k10temp always worked (same goes for the additional "power usage" (Watts) it reports back with the FX chips).
        Did not have any of these problems on my two FX 8350 + AMD RX 460/480 PCs with ASRock motherboards. Maybe it's rather the motherboard you were using that was not good?
        I have used Manjaro, SteamOS (now removed, as I don't need it anymore) and Ubuntu,

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
          If Ryzen is going to be of interest to me, it will need good single thread performance.
          Did you just come here from the past in a time capsule? Single thread performance is totally irrelevant AND has not been scaling for years. Besides most apps are already utilizing 4+ cores and/or GPU acceleration.
          Last edited by caligula; 23 February 2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Preordered 1700X & Asus PRIME X370-PRO.

If needed I could provide some benchmarks, too. Regarding the Win 7 Support discussed earlier in this thread. Win 7 drivers for EVERY component from AMD are already available. Take a look here (german):

h**p://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/threads/427302-AMD-verteilt-ZEN-Treiber-fuer-Windows-7-bereits

To summarize this thread: Since the 16.12.2 chipset driver package, all Ryzen Device IDs are included in the drivers. USB 3.1, SATA, RAID, Audio, Cryptoprocessor, everything should work with Win 7. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
              Its amazing that AMD is responsible for a huge drop in Intel sales recently!! I'm really looking forward to some good competition from AMD and my next system will be a Ryzen system. Intel has rested on its laurels for too long, refusing to release any consumer CPU with more than 4 cores for too many years.
              You do realize right that AMD has lied all these years and -all- the 8 "core" products launched to date are actually quad cores? It definitely is true whether AMD admits it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
                Hi yall,

I have pre-ordered a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU, with a ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 motherboard.
                Previously got some DDR4 3200. ...
                This is one candidate set of components of interest to me. What I need to know are:
                (a) Is all of this set supported by the 4.10 kernel? If so, have the patches been back-ported to any earlier kernels acceptable to Ubuntu/Mint?

(b) Are there motherboard specific parameters that need to be in Linux? If so, which motherboards, such as the ROG C6H above, are presently supported? ASUS only lists Win10 on their spec sheet. Perhaps this limitation only applies to their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Here then Michael enables non existed cores and benchmarks shows better values corresponding cores used.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulticore&num=1
                  Which is the whole benefit of CMT architectures. It was the entire point. But calling 8 cores is still a blatent lie.

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
                    I think I'll be getting cheapest 4/8 and upgrade to 8/16 in the future. 8 threads should suffice for my virtualization for the studies while AM4 will give me an upgrade path up to 16 threads. I wonder what OC capability will Ryzen 1300 have.
                    There's just one problem with that and it's that the 4 core chips apparently won't be coming out until the second half of the year (July or later). The 6 core chips I've personally been looking at also apparently won't be coming out at the same time as the 8 core chips, but instead around the April-May time frame. Then again there shouldn't be a lack of chips as AMD is apparently planning on shipping a million chips within the month of March.

If the cheaper chips coming out later is true it definitely sucks, but from a business perspective it does make sense to focus the limited initial production volume on the chips with the best margins. Depending on how well the cheapest 8 core chip does in benchmarks and if they actually confirm that 6 core chips won't be coming out until later I may end up going with the cheapest 8 core chip instead. If preorder numbers are anything to go by the cheapest 8 core chips aren't in anywhere near as much demand as the two more expensive 8 core chips.

A bit expensive, but now that I'm no longer a student it won't actually break the bank.
                    Last edited by L_A_G; 23 February 2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

There's just one problem with that and it's that the 4 core chips apparently won't be coming out until the second half of the year (July or later). The 6 core chips I've personally been looking at also apparently won't be coming out at the same time as the 8 core chips, but instead around the April-May time frame. Then again there shouldn't be a lack of chips as AMD is apparently planning on shipping a million chips within the month of March.

If the cheaper chips coming out later is true it definitely sucks, but from a business perspective it does make sense to focus the limited initial production volume on the chips with the best margins. Depending on how well the cheapest 8 core chip does in benchmarks and if they actually confirm that 6 core chips won't be coming out until later I may end up going with the cheapest 8 core chip instead. If preorder numbers are anything to go by the cheapest 8 core chips aren't in anywhere near as much demand as the two more expensive 8 core chips.

A bit expensive, but now that I'm no longer a student it won't actually break the bank.
                      You bring up a good point, it probably has something to do with building up defect bins. If a die has 2 cores bad it can still be sold as a 6 core chip, or if it has half it's L3 cache it can still be sold as a entry level model. AMD has a long history of doing such things, so I would betthat is what the delay for lower end models are. I bet the first batches of lower end models will all be defect bins.

Comment

Working...
                      X