No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 CPUs Shipping 2 March, Pre-Order Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simultaneously excited for 1) my next build to be AMD and 2) Intel prices to drop so I can upgrade my son's computer.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
      I noticed in kernel 4.10 there were Ryzen patches added.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that mean lower versions of the kernel (i.e used by Ubuntu, debian, opensuse, etc) will not Ryzen or will have a worse experience?

i.e say you buy one on release day should you aim to run a rolling release distro only which will have that kernel version?
      I'll know and have tests once I have the hardware.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
        If Ryzen is going to be of interest to me, it will need good single thread performance. From the AMD charts it looks like the 1700 won't be much of match to the i7 in that regard. The higher end models seem better. I'm looking forward to some actual numbers.
        According to what? Have you not seen any leaked benchmarks? Even at lower frequencies and lower wattage, the single-threaded performance is directly competitive with Skylake. Sure, we should take leaked benchmarks with a grain of salt, but they're all pretty consistent with each other so far.

AMD isn't dumb enough to make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          According to what?
          According to their own chart where they put the 1700 at 46% higher performance with double the number of cores.

Comment

Due to my limited budget I am more interested in the R5 models: specifically for gaming, how do the hex and quad stack up against each other? One apparently has a higher clock speed, while the other has more cores. Is the higher clock speed worth forgoing the 2 extra cores?
            But yeah, the models tested here and the benchmarks on Windows could probably give me enough info. I'm not gonna buy until the summer anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Elyotna View Post
              The single core performance is gonna be disastrous and the benchmarks won't reflect what they presented in their slides, I guarantee it.
              i can guarantee that you are idiot

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
                I noticed in kernel 4.10 there were Ryzen patches added.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that mean lower versions of the kernel (i.e used by Ubuntu, debian, opensuse, etc) will not Ryzen or will have a worse experience?

i.e say you buy one on release day should you aim to run a rolling release distro only which will have that kernel version?
                ask yourself about windows. will windows boot on new cpu or will you have to wait for windows 11?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonB View Post
                  Intel prices to drop so I can upgrade my son's computer.
                  but best upgrade is switch to ryzen

Comment

Ryzen has 52% IPC improvement over Excavator? Holy cow, that blows their 40% target out of the water! Zen is going to kick some serious butt. If you don't already own AMD stock, get on it, AMD is going to take back a LOT of marketshare from intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
                      According to their own chart where they put the 1700 at 46% higher performance with double the number of cores.
                      lol, did i say what i can guarantee you? here we go

Comment

Working...
                      X