Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Pro Software 17.Q1 Released For Linux Professionals

Phoronix: Radeon Pro Software 17.Q1 Released For Linux Professionals

AMD today released the Radeon Pro Software 17.Q1 driver for Windows and Linux users running FirePro / RadeonPro workstation graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    yes please show me one sane person who is not a slave(wage-earning slave) who is using this by free will?
    You mean Radeon Pro hardware or these drivers?

Comment

yes please show me one sane person who is not a slave(wage-earning slave) who is using this by free will?
      Companies, that can't just say "oh, shit, we've lost 100 million because of a mesa bug". Gaming performance is not important here, testing, stability and customer support are.

Comment

I know that you dungeon do not have any sense of Ethic and you use closed source drivers if the user case fits best for it.
        Maybe i don't have ethic really, Steve just tweeted about Radeon Pro Software wallpaper so i like it and just put it as my wallpaper too

My ethic must be basically, whatever people like and if it is nice to me too i fine with that too

If someone like Windows i am fine with that or if somoene likes macOS i am fine with that too... but i like Debian i am fine with that too, so i don't see where is the problem with all that

Let say i plan to buy some mediocre Ryzen and some Radeon Pro WX (probably even cheapest 4100 would be nice for me) even if i am not really workstation guy... where is a problem with that? I don't see it, as let say reason for that is that i am bored with third party manufacturers shits and Radeon Pros are built by AMD-only, so take my money AMD even if that cost triple times more i don't care superb, not fancy things like fabric overcloking and other shits, that is very nice to me as i prefer reliability on Desktop
        Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Oh great... It's almost like I'm on 4chan's /r9k/ board with all this talk about "wage slaves" and the like. I'm almost expecting to be called a "ragie-wagie" for pointing this out.

Seriously, as far as I'm aware this is essentially AMDGPU-PRO with some extra polish (bug fixes and verification that it works correctly) made specifically for enterprise environments. Performance in games isn't really relevant for the people who this is aimed at, what matters is stable bug-free use and features like support OpenCL 2.0. The only performance that really matters for these people is OpenCL performance and that's still leaps and bounds Nvidia's efforts even when using their binary blob drivers.

Comment

most F(l)OSS advocates lag the ability of having multiple standpoints of thinking.
            I do not have this problem. I have the theory of FLOSS should lead by full spectrum dominance.
            this means in every user case it should be the best solution.
            as long as there is any user case where the closed source is better it will always be someone who uses it.
            but we all should work together to END this situation.
            We can't at all end that situation as that is the problem in the same time, as in opensource diversity is a really problem as no one control nothing... for example recently history repeats which packaging as again no one knows what is better AppImage, Flatpak or Snappy Or X, Wayland or Mir or ever, whenever and forever

While Radeon Pro is not just a hardware it is all about certification, as that is AMD-only built hardware and is certified hardware using ceritified driver and runing certified apps, there is no room there for anything else other than maybe trying to deal with these else in mostly standard mostly not generic or else way...

Both ways it is pick your poison in the end of the day

really there is no problem. but for the future of humanity it still would be better if we focus on FLOSS solutions.
            I agree and disagree, as no one controls that... as that happens to be just history of forks. Good thing of blobs is exactly that, as it has ability to maintain control of something and not go into unpredictable random mess that only developers like

in my point of view it is pure stupidity from AMD to suggest something like: Radeon Pro hardware is build for their closed source driver. I think they would perform much better if they would focus on the open driver even for this expensive hardware.
            It is not built for closed source driver, it is built for certified apps in mind. And how you will guarantee anything with opensource driver, when for example in radeonsi GL and that shitty LLVM even if AMD itself does not break something, then some ARM devs breaks it or some Apple dev breaks something, that happened many many times... and when they finally fix things to looks fine somewhat then even AMD dev itself break stable point - that is crazy

And when they say we will open something and something we won't open up this thing, you should understand why - some things are closed just for practical reasons, to maintain control and because some smartass will break it for sure and you again can't guarantee nothing
            Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 04:03 AM.

Comment

This is a pure bullshit argument because you can make a certification for stable releases of the mesa driver to.
              I didn't say you can't do it for mesa, but please do it first and then speak - call all these apps vendors and make certification agreement that you will work not only for these apps but multiplatform also

Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

to have visions of a better future is not crazy it is a need for humanity
                I agree it is a need, but you can't turn off closed source as humanity also needs that believe me ... even Windows and OS_X was started from open source and they know really well what is that So we already had better past, but we lost it - and reason was because it was confirmed how not only one is good

They are closed on purpose to maintain control and i can only agree and disagree with that in the same time as i know this is good and bad in the same time
                Last edited by dungeon; 22 February 2017, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  even Windows and OS_X was started from open source and they know really well what is that
                  What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

What do you mean?
                    I mean how people talk about future but forget long forgotten history.

Comment

Working...
                    X