No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Makes Huge Code Contribution To Qt, New Qt 3D Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. OK, that was unexpected. Wonder where that came from.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Burn them to stake anyway.
      “the UI for the tool is currently using MFC”

So they dumped legacy code on the classic “open source dumping ground”. Not bad but not that heroic either. It's just a PR move.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

? What? I mean Apple is far from good, but miles better than Nvidia. You know about CUPS for example?
        CUPS was a mature product written entirely by Easy Software Products and published under the [L]GPL, which had been distributed by Linux distributions for many years. Apple later bought the company and incorporated it into MacOS X barely modified, with a configuration front-end added as a control panel pane. They also incorporate free software printer drivers such as Gutenprint for inkjet printing, which I used to be a contributor to.

CUPS was already under a copyleft licence and widely used and distributed, and with a base of established users and contributors. I'm not sure how Apple fares when you look at projects which originated in house.

Comment

@all an we stop pulling up Apple here that has 0% relevance?

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Makes me wonder what nvidia is getting out of all of this. That's a lot of work they put in for something that, to my understanding, isn't specific to their products.
          NVIDIA has automotive-specific product lines (for car infotainment systems, and for car autopilot) They showed a car infotainment GUI in the video, that should tell something.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            @all an we stop pulling up Apple here that has 0% relevance?
            No, this is Phoronix. It is a miracle if we can stay on topic for >= 10 replies.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

No, this is Phoronix. It is a miracle if we can stay on topic for >= 10 replies.
              You're holding it wrong. Over here, on topic means: AMD/Nvidia is evil (depending on what I like), KDE/Gnome is evil (depending on what I like), RMS FTW. The articles are just clickbait

Comment

And the decision to use an Nvidia or AMD GPU in my next build gets tougher again >.<

Though I'm thinking with Volta not coming out until 2018 I will probably end up settling on Vega.

Comment

Because?

Just look at AMD: there's practically no community built around the open source driver, the development still falls squarely on the shoulders of people that were building the closed source driver. And this is like ten years after they started their open source effort. What incentive do you think Nvidia has to follow in AMD's steps, considering the outcome so far?
                  I would love to see a Mesa driver from Nvidia, but let's be realistic: it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.
                  The case of AMD is no longer true considering the gpuopen initiative. The SI kernel module from amdgpu is improving after getting the fix from one of AMD development to further advance the migration of all GCN architecture from radeonsi to amdgpu. A lot of happening in open source AMD world just very little noise about the movement.

Comment

They've always eschewed open source whenever possible (it's why they went BSD instead of Linux). CUPS and X were just too entrenched to avoid, impossible to take to closed source, so the only way to contribute was to do it in the open. But that's ok, they can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.
                    Bsd isn't open source? You know you can get the source for xnu?
                    Apple has contributed:
                    Opencl, gcd, webkit, swift, iokit....

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                      And the decision to use an Nvidia or AMD GPU in my next build gets tougher again >.<

Though I'm thinking with Volta not coming out until 2018 I will probably end up settling on Vega.
                      my $0.02USD? having only run nvidia since the early 2000's, it seems to "just work", even for things like 32 bit games via WINE. Places where the last AMD card i tried faled badly. Additionally, I do have a very old dell inspiron SFF thing here on my desk, that has basically no support by any set of drivers, it's been dropped by fglrx (or whatever that was) and it's too old to be supported by the modern opensource drivers and newer closed source ones. So i'm left with a GPU that can't even properly display 720p video.

I'm running a nvidia GTS450 in my main desktop from about 10 years ago now, and it still works with the current closed source nvidia driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X