Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.10 To Have Built-In Vulkan Support

Phoronix: Qt 5.10 To Have Built-In Vulkan Support

With Qt 5.8 there was experimental Direct3D 12 support that left some disappointed the toolkit didn't opt for supporting Vulkan first as a cross-platform, high-performance graphics API. Fortunately, with Qt 5.10, there will be built-in Vulkan support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Qt 5.10 To Have Built-In Vulkan SupportQt Vulkan support had been staged in this repository but that's been shutdown as the work has now landed in the "dev" code-base for Qt 5.10.
    "landed" is kind of not true with Gerrit in between. The change is in review and there's been already 18 patch sets in 10 days.
    Meaning that anything could still happen before it actually "lands" in the Qt tree.
    It can be postponed or abandoned even though when Laszlo does something, it usually is excellent quality code.

Comment

I wonder why there's so slow Vulkan adoption, that seems unfortunate...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I wonder why there's so slow Vulkan adoption, that seems unfortunate...
        Because there is very little need to adopt Vulkan in a 2d framework.

I would rather see them fix wayland. By the looks of it there will be no QT 5.8.1 and KDE wayland session is broken in 5.8 an there seems to be nothing going on since more than a week (Gerrit/QTBUG-58423)

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
          Qt Widgets are CPU heavy. 0.05 CPU seconds are needed to repaint window with text which means refresh rate is only 20 fps, but 3d game can exceed 100 fps on same CPU.
          Last edited by JS987; 19 February 2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            Qt Widgets are CPU heavy. 0.05 CPU seconds are needed to repaint window with text which means refresh rate is only 20 fps, but 3d game can exceed 100 fps on same CPU.
            If Qt couldn't push more than 20fps on the desktop, it wouldn't be usable at all on mobile. And yet it is. Some widgets may be slow, but you can code a resource hungry control using pretty much any toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Windows: In context of games, the potential of Vulkan to generate financial revenue for game developers is lower than DX11/DX12. In year 2017 Vulkan is just a curiosity that is competing with DX12.

Linux: My prediction/feeling is that Vulkan on Linux will experience a strong growth in year 2019.
              This is misleading. You have to do double work to have a DX11 AND a DX12 version. If you just do a DX12 version, you actually have less potential users as it doesn't work on windows 7/8 which still have more of the Windows market. There are more DX12 games right now because it's been out for more than a year longer.

PS: The real driver for Vulkan growth will be mobile.
              Last edited by Geopirate; 19 February 2017, 02:39 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

I would rather see them fix wayland. By the looks of it there will be no QT 5.8.1 and KDE wayland session is broken in 5.8 an there seems to be nothing going on since more than a week (Gerrit/QTBUG-58423)
                QVulkanWindow is not meant to support application-provided 2D and 3D content? It doesn't sound like that would be a backend for the 2D framework. More like it is just basic Vulkan support for an application that uses Vulkan directly for graphics.

If so, then supporting both Vulkan and Wayland, to that level, wouldn't be a huge thing. Rather surprising it takes that long.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Windows: In context of games, the potential of Vulkan to generate financial revenue for game developers is lower than DX11/DX12. In year 2017 Vulkan is just a curiosity that is competing with DX12.

Linux: My prediction/feeling is that Vulkan on Linux will experience a strong growth in year 2019.
                  According to NVidia and AMD website info, the current drivers support both Vulkan and Windows 7, so I'd assume Vulkan does work on Windows 7, as it is meant to do. Not knowing the Windows world very well, where would the limit for financial revenue be?

Comment

My advice is not to get false hopes. Qt has so many bugs, I reported enough of them, also at least one was flagged as "critical". My naive understanding of critical gave my the hope that it would be solved very quickly..... the reality was... not even after more than 2 years it was touched (not to speak about fixing it)!
                    I spent enough time on the new Qt3D 2.0 ... finding a lot of bugs, and noticing that the developers didn't write some tests for testing this module (also the documentation is very very very very incomplete). For c++ there are just a few simple basic examples. After having to deal with a lot of bugs... in the end after my own example became bigger, I started to notice the performance problems [cpu usage was over 30% with no apparent reason]. If I as a complete beginner in the domain of qt3d found so many bugs in short time, I really wonder why the developers of qt3d, after working many years on it, didn't find them!
                    After noticing that the c++ Widgets in QT are getting no attention and Qt3D was a disappointment , I decided to write my own GUI toolkit and Rendering engine, using of course qtcreator. And my first target was Wayland and Vulkan with modern c++17 (clang 4.0). I switched my Gnome Ubuntu to Wayland, and after reading about Wayland, I started coding..... just to notice that keyboard layout while typing in qtcreator was another than the one of the settings. The keyboard input works fine for everything else, just not in qtcreator. I'm hunted by QT Bugs.
                    I don't see a future in QT, it's full of bugs, it somehow forces you in the old programming style of the 90s (raw pointers..), and because they want to be consistent, also the the interface of the new modules (like qt3d) are also written in the same spirit.
                    My advice, don't get fooled and become an pre-alpha tester of QT, then write bug reports, and then wait a few years till they might get attention.... which in normal case anyway doesn't happen, because QT in the meantime will be working on something new. I guess these are the secondary effects of the commercial side of QT, they are working on the bugs/issues of their payed customers. If they need some new "QtQuick Buttons", sure, they are working on that. Introducing more and more features...and of course even more bugs.
                    Here is a nice article.... not related to qt, but to bugs:
                    Once upon a time, a friend of mine accidentally took over thousands of computers. He had found a vulnerability in a piece of software and…

Last edited by cipri; 19 February 2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X