Radeon "GFX9" Support Lands In LLVM's AMDGPU Backend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are free to ignore the typos!

That might not be the right thing to do in every situation. Thankfully Micheals writing style is fairly clear most of the time so thoughts arent lost with an occasional typo.

As to the suggestion of spell checkers, sometimes they cause more trouble than they solve. I use spell checkers often but that doesnt mean bad spelling doesnt get through. Worst on iOS the checkers can correct your writing into something even the writer can't parse.

So what im saying here is that offering up this obvious suggesting is a bit infantile. Im certain every member of this forum already knows what spell checkers are and more so understand their limitations. Which brings me to the question why did you bother to post this comment.

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I have to ask you Michael, since you always publish articles with these really simple misspellings, are you using a spell-checker on them? Why aren't you writing articles in Libre Office, use the spell-checker, and then just copy-paste it into your publishing system? Or at least use the spell-checker in Firefox/browser of your choice? It feels a bit cumbersome to have tildearrow proof-read all of them after publishing them

Comment

At launch who knows. I suspect we will have something as these launches are pretty important to AMD.

As for building a new machine, id kinda like to do that also but other priorities will take president.

By the way for AMD to have any success here they really need to make a big splash with truly impressive hardware. The PC market, especially desktop systems, is essentially dead. Even Intel is hurting in this space. I doubt we will be able to claim launch success using the metrics of a few years ago. I hope things go well for AMD, but a high performance processor just doesn't drive sales like it use too.

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
      I really hope there is good support on radeonsi from launch of Vega. I've been planning an all AMD system for a year now. Hoping the performance and value is there. Exciting times.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        The PC market, especially desktop systems, is essentially dead.
        The PC market is still over $100B/yr; not growing but far from dead. The gaming PC segment is over $30B/yr and growing.

Last edited by bridgman; 19 February 2017, 07:36 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Why exactly is GFX9 part of radeonSI? Assuming this is architecturally different from GCN
          it is still gcn

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Why exactly is GFX9 part of radeonSI? Assuming this is architecturally different from GCN, wouldn't this be a good opportunity for a new driver? Or does that not really matter?
            Expect the radeonSI bits to change by less than 1000 lines of code (maybe even less than 100). Rewriting the entire driver each time a new card is launched is a great way to never finish one.

Most of the changes will likely be in the kernel code since that's what actually interfaces directly with the hardware, and I wouldn't expect that to be drastically different than the last gen, either.

Comment

It would be interesting to know about those 1000 lines then that makes the practical difference between how to optimize for Polaris and how to optimize for Vega.

Gaming PCs are far from dead. Consoles are obviously just crippled PCs with worse controls, no upgradability, and no function outside of gaming. Few games are console exclusive and they're all single player action movies with worse graphics than games that are on PCs.

That said the biggest reason to buy a console right now is Windows costs 100$ on top of the hardware price which starts at the same price as a console for vastly better performance, and Microsoft knows it, and Windows is absolute dogshit with the random updates and general lameness, and Microsoft knows that too. Hopefully Valve gets enough game companies on board with SteamOS to keep PC viable, but game companies seem to want to ban modding, eliminate online play, and keep Microsoft and Sony instead of working with Valve.

Comment

Working...
              X