RadeonSI Mesa 17.1-dev vs. AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 OpenGL Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    I found strange using the RX 470 because in previous benchmarks it had performance issues with Mesa
    Yes, it would have been nice to have the benchmarks on RX480 and Fury since they were the ones used in the Mesa/Windows comparison.

Comment

Interesting... I couldn't find any recent 470 results for comparison, but on 480 what I saw was:

1. For Deus Ex, in the recent Windows vs Linux test the 480 on Mesa was running at 64 fps with low settings (vs 14 here), 44 fps with high settings (vs 9 here). In both cases the results in that test were quite a bit higher than even the PRO driver on 470 here.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2. For Bioshock Infinite the PRO driver was 20 fps faster than earlier 480 results (~80 fps previously, 100 in this article) and the Mesa driver was >20fps slower than earlier 480 results (~80 fps previously, ~55 in this article).

Either way, will be interesting to see what the results look like next time the 480 comes up in rotation. Thanks Michael.
      Last edited by bridgman; 18 February 2017, 01:17 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

It would be nice if Michael can say which padoka mesa git version has been used, just -devel might be whatever... perf improvments but also regressions on random checkout are always possible.

Comment

Deus Ex and Bioshock were really fast here:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Deus Ex and Bioshock were really fast here:
            http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-nvidia&num=1
            oh, yes, 460 was at 14 on High in Deus Ex, and here 470 is at 9. So either there is a big regression in mesa-dev, or something went wrong in the benchmark (or there is a specific issue with the RX470).
            Last edited by Aiua; 18 February 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

A question: in terms of chrome browsers what improvements about hardware acceleration and mesa defects?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                A question: in terms of chrome browsers what improvements about hardware acceleration and mesa defects?
                Presumably you're referring to the numerous workarounds and feature blacklisting. AFAICT, almost all the bugs and issues do not reflect the current state of any of the Mesa drivers. Unfortunately, the Chromium devs tend to put in place and leave the workarounds and blacklist entries when something doesn't work instead of just reporting the bug, or even fixing it and supplying a patch upstream. What makes it worse is that the blacklist doesn't generally get applied to even fixed versions of Mesa, often there's no way of knowing if your version is affected except by disabling the blacklist.

Comment

Deus Ex: MD on Mesa is an oddball for mine.

Sometimes it runs amazingly well despite a few chugs, other times it runs like a dog. It certainly improved a hell of a lot for me with Mesa 17 git, but it's always capable of being inconsistent for some reason.

Comment

For me performance on my RX480 is not that great at 1440p with the latest Mesa. The game is playable, but it's still a shadow of Windows performance. The latest game update seemed to disable hair rendering on my game. Already checked the config files and nothing seems to be marked off and neither did I implement said hack. An "optimization" by Feral perhaps?

Comment

Michael Why compare radeon vs. amdgpu-pro? Why not compare amdgpu vs. amdgpu-pro?

Comment

Working...
                      X