Nouveau Maxwell: Mesa 17.0 + Linux 4.10 vs. NVIDIA's Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    So yeah, your blob is obsolete just as you say, but that doesn't mean the hardware is obsolete.
    I did't said it is obsolete , i could say install Debian 8 it is supported till 2020., fire up fglrx there on click and voila you have GL4.4 on EG/NI... basically you can have it if you want it

But question is about opensource r600 driver and that depends on community really now or if some AMD developer wanna do something about in his spare time.
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 January 2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I did't said it is obsolete , i could say install Debian 8 it is supported till 2020., fire up fglrx there on click and voila you have GL4.4 on EG/NI... basically you can have it if you want it

But question is about opensource r600 driver and that depends on community really now or if some AMD developer wanna do something about in his spare time.
      You can go right ahead and suffer through that experience all by yourself, thank you. I'll choose to wait for something that might actually work.

Comment

You can go right ahead and suffer through that experience all by yourself, thank you. I'll choose to wait for something that might actually work.
        Things does not work automagically with that "i will wait" feature, it works with activity and code is open so that YOU can read it so looking at the code would be much better... and of course visit bugzilla, i highly recommends doing that for those who like:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...resolution=---

Comment

Things does not work automagically with that "i will wait" feature, it works with activity and code is open so that YOU can read it so looking at the code would be much better... and of course visit bugzilla, i highly recommends doing that for those who like:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...resolution=---
          "who like:" What? Open and Free documentation? Community driven development? Immediate access to the latest bug fixes?

You think you can make it sound bad, but you really can't.

Comment

"who like:" What? Open and Free documentation? Community driven development? Immediate access to the latest bug fixes?

You think you can make it sound bad, but you really can't.
            Reality just sounds bad sometimes I don't trying to make anythingtm sound bad at all, i just say how things are currently and what options are available and not trying to sell you paperware words .

Comment

Reality just sounds bad sometimes I don't trying to make anythingtm sound bad at all, i just say how things are currently and what options are available and not trying to sell you paperware words .
              It only sounds bad in your mind. Everyone else thinks it's fantastic to have unfettered documentation that anyone can contribute to and anyone can easily see.

What's bad is this, find an equivalent repository for AMD's proprietary driver... Go ahead. A hint, it doesn't exist and never did.

Comment

I'm late again. Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix
                the consumer GTX 105/1060/1070/1080

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
                  Not to take this off-topic but does anyone know what is going on with the AMD r600 driver? I am still stuck on OpenGL profile 3.3 with my HP Elitebook 8460p laptop. It has an AMD Radeon HD 6470M GPU with 1 GB RAM.
                  Everything is implemented up to GL 4.1 other than emulating the FP64 support your chip doesn't have (which no known game uses anyways), so you should be able to over-ride to at least 4.1 and run successfully. There are only a couple of GL 4.2 extensions not implemented and I don't remember seeing them get used either... 4.3 is *probably* the first place you will run into problems over-riding.

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

I thought I read a recent article here about someone in the community working on emulating FP64, does anyone remember ?
                  Last edited by bridgman; 22 January 2017, 12:52 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

It only sounds bad in your mind. Everyone else thinks it's fantastic to have unfettered documentation that anyone can contribute to and anyone can easily see.
                    Where i said that it is bad? Model is not bad, model is fine actually. But one thing is model and another is practice, otherwise no one will ask where is that GL4 for r600

And totally different is the way how you distribute something, that can be in opensource or not way... whatever, each developer side has code anyway . Difference is only for user, where user can see or can't see code. So when you can see it, now be free go and help it if you want

What's bad is this, find an equivalent repository for AMD's proprietary driver... Go ahead. A hint, it doesn't exist and never did.
                    nVidia has equivalent blob repository Find some even 12 years old nVidia's card install their blob and things works. That 304.xx serie would be dropped at the end of this year.

And equivalent of that is AMD driver dropped in year 2012. , but user could still use that on Debian 7 LTS supported till middle 2018.

Like it or not, if someone want/need to use blobs... possibilites are there. Otherwise opensource or buy new hardware and use what you like.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 22 January 2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Everything is implemented up to GL 4.1 other than emulating the FP64 support your chip doesn't have (which no known game uses anyways), so you should be able to over-ride to at least 4.1 and run successfully. There are only a couple of GL 4.2 extensions not implemented and I don't remember seeing them get used either... 4.3 is *probably* the first place you will run into problems over-riding.

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

I thought I read a recent article here about someone in the community working on emulating FP64, does anyone remember ?
                      Tried overriding and it doesn't work. I tried it on Bioshock Infinite for example and it keeps complaining that I don't have the proper OpenGL profile.

Comment

Working...
                      X