Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFC: Revised System Information View For PTS-Ringsaker

Phoronix: RFC: Revised System Information View For PTS-Ringsaker

One of the smaller improvements I've been working to make on Phoronix Test Suite 7.0-Ringsaker has been improving the system information reporting view...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is much..MUCH...better ! Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      That is much..MUCH...better ! Thanks !
      Great! Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was time to improve that presentation of system info. Funnily, once I had a vision in my head for it, was less than one beer to finally make the change...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It looks awesome, way more clearer

Comment

Great job Michael, awesome!
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The new layout is much nicer!

Feedback: How will you present multi monitor and multi GPU information? At the moment you have:

[code]
            GRAPHICS:<graphics card info>
            OpenGL: <version>
            OpenCL: <version and capability>
            Monitor: <monitor id>
            Screen: <resolution>

It would make more sense to have the Monitor and Screen on one line, e.g.
            Display: <monitor id> @ <resolution>
            For each display attached to the graphics card you are showing info for.

My thinking is notebook PRIME displays and onboard graphics that might be used

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              The new layout is much nicer!

Feedback: How will you present multi monitor and multi GPU information? At the moment you have:

[code]
              GRAPHICS:<graphics card info>
              OpenGL: <version>
              OpenCL: <version and capability>
              Monitor: <monitor id>
              Screen: <resolution>

It would make more sense to have the Monitor and Screen on one line, e.g.
              Display: <monitor id> @ <resolution>
              For each display attached to the graphics card you are showing info for.

My thinking is notebook PRIME displays and onboard graphics that might be used
              Multi monitor and multi GPU are currently presented the same way, having just " + " sign between multiple components. At the moment in the Phodevi API I don't have a good topology API for accurately mapping a GPU to/from a display, etc, due to the different drivers / display servers / OSes / etc that already as-is is a mess in dealing with detecting all monitor/GPU combinations with many different code-paths and what not, so with multi-monitor use-cases not being extremely common nor really critical to PTS (since the most important of overall resolution and GPUs are exposed), I haven't been able to invest any significant time/resources in coming up with a better alternative.

Heck there must be at least 5 different code-paths right now for just supporting different AMD/ATI video card attributes from the different drivers going back to fglrx, the Radeon/AMDGPU drivers at different stages exposing some attributes in different manners, different paths for BSD and macOS, etc.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Multi monitor and multi GPU are currently presented the same way, having just " + " sign between multiple components. At the moment in the Phodevi API I don't have a good topology API for accurately mapping a GPU to/from a display, etc, due to the different drivers / display servers / OSes / etc that already as-is is a mess in dealing with detecting all monitor/GPU combinations with many different code-paths and what not, so with multi-monitor use-cases not being extremely common nor really critical to PTS (since the most important of overall resolution and GPUs are exposed), I haven't been able to invest any significant time/resources in coming up with a better alternative.

Heck there must be at least 5 different code-paths right now for just supporting different AMD/ATI video card attributes from the different drivers going back to fglrx, the Radeon/AMDGPU drivers at different stages exposing some attributes in different manners, different paths for BSD and macOS, etc.
                I had no idea that there was no standard way of exposing this information.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I had no idea that there was no standard way of exposing this information.
                  Sadly not, at least anything standard for Linux (maybe with the recemt RandR there is a way to at least map display EDID strings to a GPU, but for other information and such, no) let alone that would also work on like BSDs and other operating systems.... And then the sysfs/debugfs interfaces between GPU DRM drivers for things like frequencies vary a lot.

For some perspective, PTS client is around ~90k LOC and about ~14k of that at last check is just for 'Phodevi' as the device interface for querying software/hardware details.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Sadly not, at least anything standard for Linux (maybe with the recemt RandR there is a way to at least map display EDID strings to a GPU, but for other information and such, no) let alone that would also work on like BSDs and other operating systems.... And then the sysfs/debugfs interfaces between GPU DRM drivers for things like frequencies vary a lot.

For some perspective, PTS client is around ~90k LOC and about ~14k of that at last check is just for 'Phodevi' as the device interface for querying software/hardware details.
                    Second time this morning my mind has been expanded - that is a shed load of code just to get some sort of standard device querying across platforms!

Comment

Working...
                    X