TrueOS Making Use Of OpenRC Init System, Faster Boot Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phrx_reader View Post
    Linux should be all about choice, but currently isn't, e.g. Debian has locked themselves into systemd. Fortunately there exists a fork of Debian: Devuan. Please check it out!
    You have the choice to not use Debian.

Comment

I feel like there are so many confused people. Systemd isn't doing shady backroom deals with distro maintainers in order to create a "vendor lock in", it's more that systemd provides so many conveniences for the maintainers (and users) while also providing speed so distros WANT to use it.

And again, I feel the need to point out that systemd can be just an init system (it doesn't need all of the "bloat" people assign to it to init your system), but the systemd project as a whole isn't (and the more modules they add, the more it looks good to distro maintainers).

Comment

Originally posted by edgar444 View Post
        Yes yes yes! The only reason i hate systemd, is because people force it, like pulseaudio.
        ok, now you can move to bsd, you deserve it

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          I really think Linux users should have choice and choosing the init system that works best for them. Why is systemd being rammed down our collective throats?
          why is linux kernel being rammed down your collective throats? shouldn't you have choice and choosing kernel that works best for you?

Comment

I liked the old standby, the SysV init system...and things aren't really bloated
            you could still use your lovely slackware 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
              Nice. While I've come to like systemd specifically, I'd now certainly be more inclined to give TrueOS another go. Back when it was PC-BSD I used it for a while, but fled back to Linux (Ubuntu at the time) once I realized I couldn't do anything about the far longer boot time!
              How often do you reboot that 10-15 seconds of time matters?

If you're running a production app where an extra 10 seconds matters then you should be running it in a load balanced system. On most servers the BIOS boot and related checks is going to be 90% of your time vs. the OS boot.

For a desktop system? The only thing a 5 second boot gives is some points in a e-peen measuring contest.

My Arch gaming box and Debian servers do boot really fast, but my FreeBSD workstation and servers are only about 5-15 seconds behind and it's certainly not a reason to pick one over the other.

edit: For a laptop? Okay, maybe. However, 10-15 seconds is still nothing. Take an extra sip of your tea and coffee or bullshit with your co-workers while it's booting or something.
              Last edited by rhavenn; 21 January 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

You don't have to leave Linux. OpenRC's most widespread use is in Gentoo Linux: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

Comment

Originally posted by edgar444 View Post
                  Yes yes yes! The only reason i hate systemd, is because people force it, like pulseaudio.

And simple-ish scripts are nice and simple to use:
                  /etc/init.d/samba start
                  So in other words OpenRC is now not "forced upon" the users of TrueOS and they can freely choose init during install?

Comment

On first install why not allow Debian users to select what init system they want?
                    this is a good question, anyway the old sys V boot style can be restored installing the sysvinit-core package
                    then you can push the alarm button off

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                      Linux is all about choice.
                      Let me correct that a little:

Gentoo is all about choice.

In Gentoo you can even choose to have a BSD kernel if you like. And it supports systemd as well as openrc. The only real pain is when userland software suddenly starts having hard dependencies on systemd. Iirc. gdm3 would pull in systemd no matter what (thus rendering it unusable for BSDs?).
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X