Steam's Recent Linux Changes Have Been Promoted To Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

THe recent changes are meant to 'prefer' native system libraries over bundled ones. I haven't tested this however.
    Yes but only over bundled ones in the runtime. Libraries bundled with games still trump everything.

See what I did there? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      Hmm but does Portal 2 work without deleting its bundled libstdc++.so.6 or setting LD_PRELOAD? I was on the beta and that was still broken for me. The difference with this game is that the library is bundled with the game itself, not just in the Steam runtime.
      Same issue with Stanley Parable and Planetary Annihilation: Titans.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Same issue with Stanley Parable and Planetary Annihilation: Titans.
        At least those aren't VAC-enabled so there's no risk of a ban. This may seem paranoid but we really don't know until they tell us.

Comment

Left4Dead2 used to freeze at the start when using Haswell even on Mesa 17, let's see if it's fixed.

EDIT: After a quick test: At least now the game can be played, but still has occasional glitches.
          Last edited by cl333r; 20 January 2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Left4Dead2 used to freeze on Haswell even on Mesa 17, let's see if it's fixed.
            Newer mesa and kernels have fixed this issue for me. Haven't tested in a long time though.

Comment

Now all they need to do is hurry up with SteamVR.

Also, I'm a little annoyed about how the DualShock 4 driver for Steam isn't mapped correctly. For example, X is square, square is circle, circle is X, Share is L1, Options is L2, and so on. It works great but I have to keep resorting to the ds4drv, which is slower to get up and running.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 January 2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Hmm but does Portal 2 work without deleting its bundled libstdc++.so.6 or setting LD_PRELOAD? I was on the beta and that was still broken for me. The difference with this game is that the library is bundled with the game itself, not just in the Steam runtime. This is partly why I wrote to Valve last week. We need to know if deleting files like this could trigger VAC. Still waiting to hear back.
                Issues with libraries that are bundled with game should be reported to game developers, not steam. This change is for libraries bundled with steam.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post

Issues with libraries that are bundled with game should be reported to game developers, not steam. This change is for libraries bundled with steam.
                  Yeah, which 99% of the time goes completely ignored. Honestly, I think the vast majority linux ports these last few years are incomplete. Yet here we are with all these new ports, which is good, but then most of them are unplayable, which is horrible. Basically it's the single player or campaign games that don't get new releases which are screwed beyond repair. It's the MMO's and multiplayer games that get new releases fairly often that are doing the best right now.

EDIT: Anyway, Thankfully Steam does have a refund program, so if you buy a game and you can't get it to work, you can still get your money back if you don't wait too long. It happens a lot though, unfortunately.
                  Last edited by duby229; 20 January 2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Hmm but does Portal 2 work without deleting its bundled libstdc++.so.6 or setting LD_PRELOAD? I was on the beta and that was still broken for me. The difference with this game is that the library is bundled with the game itself, not just in the Steam runtime. This is partly why I wrote to Valve last week. We need to know if deleting files like this could trigger VAC. Still waiting to hear back.
                    Just use LD_PRELOAD instead of deleting files?

Comment

At least those aren't VAC-enabled so there's no risk of a ban. This may seem paranoid but we really don't know until they tell us.
                      I'm playing CS:GO a lot without the steam runtime and I wasn't banned from it.

Actually I'm not even sure if VAC does something on linux. I just googled "cs go linux cheat" for 5 seconds and almost the first thing that comes up is this:
                      https://github.com/McSwaggens/linux-csgo-external and https://github.com/McSwaggens/AimTux
                      which are openly available for everyone (with source!) for at least a year and they don't seem to get detected as it is still being used (looking at the issues, there are entries from nov 2016 for the first one and 6h ago for the other one).

So if valve would do a 5 sec search on google they could ban this, but they are busy creating glove skins

Comment

Working...
                      X