No announcement yet.

The End Of An Era: A Look Back At The Most Popular Solaris Milestones & News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End Of An Era: A Look Back At The Most Popular Solaris Milestones & News

Phoronix: The End Of An Era: A Look Back At The Most Popular Solaris Milestones & News

With it looking certain now that Oracle is ending Solaris feature development with the cancelling of Solaris 12, here's a look back at the most popular Solaris news and milestones for the project over the years on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

F**k!

Everything that Oracle touches turns to dust! Oracle is probably the most OSS unfriendly company out there right now. Even more than Microsoft! Everybody in OSS world, that do business with free software or relies on such software for it's business should avoid Oracle at all cost!

We should somehow raise awareness an this...I just don't know what the best strategy would be!

Comment

Solaris is dead! Long live Illumos!

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
        F**k!

Everything that Oracle touches turns to dust! Oracle is probably the most OSS unfriendly company out there right now. Even more than Microsoft! Everybody in OSS world, that do business with free software or relies on such software for it's business should avoid Oracle at all cost!

We should somehow raise awareness an this...I just don't know what the best strategy would be!
        Solaris was already going nowhere fast when Oracle bought out Sun. If anything, you can blame Linux for taking over all the markets where Solaris used to be strong.

Comment

i still cant believe how good the community predicted all the oracle thing
          and how good it reacted

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
            F**k!

Hate Oracle for what you want (and there are countless legit reasons), but in this case it's not like they are killing a product that makes money. Most of the stuff they got from Sun was a money sink hole, that why Sun went bankrupt to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Hate Oracle for what you want (and there are countless legit reasons), but in this case it's not like they are killing a product that makes money. Most of the stuff they got from Sun was a money sink hole, that why Sun went bankrupt to begin with.
              You could argue the same about Red Hat, Novell, Canonical, etc. The only difference is Sun decided to go solo instead of work toward Linux. I think Sun's main problem is they were trying to juggle too many things at once. Creating their own CPU architecture, programming language, virtual machine, operating system, office suite, etc is just too much considering they had at least one competitor who had something better in every one of those categories. Oracle may have killed nearly all of Sun's legacy, but I sometimes wonder how much longer these products would last if they kept going.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                You could argue the same about Red Hat, Novell, Canonical, etc.
                Not really. Red Hat is making money. Canonical was supposed to lose money for a number of years while pursuing some specific goals (I think they may be making money on the server/cloud these days, but I'm not sure). Novell, I know nothing about.

In this case Oracle has Solaris, that literally exists only because ZFS, but at the same time they have their own RH spin. One is a money drain, the other is a rather minimal investment. A no brainer, imho. However, if Oracle is wrong, I'm sure OpenIndiana will have a bright future.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Sun was nicely profitable until their core market completely collapsed beneath them. After that their options were limited.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Sun was nicely profitable until their core market completely collapsed beneath them. After that their options were limited.
                    True. But then the market always changes, it was their responsibility to adapt on time.
                    And then there was that puzzling acquisition of MySQL which I'm 90% sure was initiated by Oracle.

Comment

Working...
                    X