No announcement yet.

Google Developers Working On Gaming Protocol For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's just WRONG. Nowadays, the way to go is with a SteamController-like API, where the game exports actions, and gets actions back, maybe with some text/image to display hints. There was someone who asked for open-sourcing the SteamController API, I would love to see it given a bit of love from Google/Wayland.

Comment

Well, I could not edit my unapproved post, so double post it will be.
      I just wrote my concerns in a short e-mail on the mailing list: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/032702.html

I couldn't let this opportunity slip trough; if such a protocol is accepted as the default, I believe it could truly revolutionize the way programs handle controller input, in a good way. And maybe also promote Linux/alternative platforms as viable gaming platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Interesting to see the likes of Google putting effort behind Wayland. They previously only cared about server linux, so this is a very interesting development.
        lolwut? google makes most popular non-server linux distro, which makes linux most popular user-facing os.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
          Or am I wrong?
          yes, you are

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Is ChromeOS using Wayland?
            everyone uses wayland. except canonical

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Simply not using screensavers should be enough. Current hardware doesn't need it anymore.
              They are using lock screens though, and the two are activated basically the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                everyone uses wayland. except canonical
                Once upon a time they where near to do so though. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTAxMTE then one year later they couldn't get the cross-device functionality (switch from phone to computer mode) to work so they started with development of MIR.

Comment

When you have a Google Playstore enabled Chromebook you can just install a base Ubuntu container without desktop and enter it with "enter-chroot" from ChromeOS shell. Export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/chrome so that it finds the Wayland socket and now you can launch Wayland capable apps directly on ChromeOS.

You can also run weston-info in the container and you'll get a list of some of the extensions that Google uses for their Wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

If I understand things correctly, the protocol is for the transfer of information between libinput and the client application (and vise versa) (i.e. button push -> libinput -> wayland server -> <via this protocol> -> wayland client
                    Ok, that is the thing that I don't get. All this protocol does is handle the input to and from the client, which is NOT a function of wayland as a protocol.
                    So I am still stuck wonder what this does for a strictly display based protocol? And if it is not miss-placed?

Maybe I am missing something, my understand of wayland it rather simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

Ok, that is the thing that I don't get. All this protocol does is handle the input to and from the client, which is NOT a function of wayland as a protocol.
                      So I am still stuck wonder what this does for a strictly display based protocol? And if it is not miss-placed?

Maybe I am missing something, my understand of wayland it rather simple.
                      well, Wayland is all about communication between servers and clients, it's the core concept behind it.

A Wayland server will give each application the things it requests via this protocol and the clients will send data back to the server via the protocol.

This is for another channel of data that can be sent to/from the server/client.

(I hope this makes sense)

Comment

Working...
                      X