No announcement yet.

GIMP's Progress In 2016, What's Ahead For 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no non-destructive editing? Sigh..

Really wish Gimp had more developers working on it. It's used so much yet being developed by a handful of people.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

It builds and sorta works. There are even people who apparently use it, for their own reasons There still will be a major cleanup and some refactoring. And there's always more refactoring than one wants and/or expects.

As far as I can tell, GTK+ 3.90 will be out this March. Depending on when GIMP 2.10 is out, this may or may not be enough to justify switching to GTK+4. The question is: do you really want potentially unstable software that is supposed to be production-ready? Because we care about that sort of thing.
      Considering 2.10 would exist which would be stable and production ready, I wouldn't mind if 2.99 (or whatever you call it) has a few stablity problems inherited from gtk3.90+ if it meant that you didn't spend 6 more years on gtk3 because rewriting for GSK is a huge undertaking. It could even be helpful for the gtk devs if you, as a program that might dive deeper into gsk than most of Gnomes programs, find some holes in GSK that might not have been otherwise found.

Comment

As for the UI, if you are used to PS: I use this tweak ( http://doctormo.deviantart.com/art/G...eaks-432736644 ) in Linux and macOS, and it works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          I wouldn't mind if 2.99 (or whatever you call it) has a few stablity problems inherited from gtk3.90+ if it meant that you didn't spend 6 more years on gtk3 because rewriting for GSK is a huge undertaking.
          Sorry, but I get a parser error here

Do you mean that spending 6 more years on GTK+4 / GSK port is OK? Or not OK?

We absolutely do not want spending years on the GTK+3 (or GTK+ 4) port. Non-destructive editing is way, way too long overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Originally posted by Creak View Post
            I know a lot of GIMP users that complain about this UI but don't know it's possible to have only one window with just one click in the menu.
            I think GIMP already has, or at least used to have, a single-window mode. Not sure how you enable it though.
            That's pretty much what I was saying: there is a one-single window mode

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
            Considering 2.10 would exist which would be stable and production ready, I wouldn't mind if 2.99 (or whatever you call it) has a few stablity problems inherited from gtk3.90+ if it meant that you didn't spend 6 more years on gtk3 because rewriting for GSK is a huge undertaking. It could even be helpful for the gtk devs if you, as a program that might dive deeper into gsk than most of Gnomes programs, find some holes in GSK that might not have been otherwise found.
            I disagree for several reasons:
            1. GTK+ 3 port is already well advanced
            2. GTK+ 3 is stable, 4 is not
            3. GTK+ 3 has ports for Windows and OSX, these ports tends to take some time for newer versions of GTK
            4. GTK+ 3 will bring Wayland compatibility, which is more important than GSK right now
            5. Using GSK will probably be a pretty long refactoring I suppose, so I'd rather not wait for that to have the next version

It would be nice to have a new version of GIMP every 6 months. Even is the improvements aren't extraordinary, I think it's saner to do regular releases, especially with a small team of devs.

Comment

Gimp is great software. I find its UX better than photoshop. IE, try to remove background to alpha.. in gimp 3 clicks.. in photoshop 10 minutes with maskings blendings etc..

there are still some issues in gimp, but cmon.. its free for everyone... go pay fortune for photoshop or use gimp and dont complain

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post

Really wish Gimp had more developers working on it. It's used so much yet being developed by a handful of people.
                Øyvind Kolås, prolific GIMP/GEGL/BABL developer is currently running a patreon campaign...

Follow Øyvind Kolås on Patreon: Read posts by Øyvind Kolås on the world's largest platform enabling a new generation of creators and artists to live out their passions!

Comment

Originally posted by binda View Post
                  Øyvind Kolås, prolific GIMP/GEGL/BABL developer is currently running a patreon campaign...
                  Pledged!

Comment

I miss CMYK

Comment

Ah... GIMP. The open source project that chose to use an acronym that spells out a word with only negative definitions. Because of that I can't recommend it to anyone. Seriously, one definition is a specific form of sexual deviancy and the other is a derogatory term for a cripple.

Oh well.

Paint.net, Kirta, and digiKam cover all my needs.

Comment

Working...
                      X