Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Seeking Comments On DC/DAL Code, Wants To Land It Soon For Future GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
    The only thing that saddens me is when DRM is used I'm looking at you Bethesda, DOOM :'(
    Just a few hours ago I read that Bethesda removed DRM from Doom with the lates update.

Comment

This can't happen too soon. Shoulda been merged a long time ago.

Comment

Yeah, take a look at Dave Airlie's reply, though...

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/126516.html

tl;dr: Not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          This can't happen too soon. Shoulda been merged a long time ago.
          No, it should have been cleaned up a long time ago so it COULD be merged. This is 100% AMD's own fault as a company (though not necessarily the fault of AMD's developers on an individual basis - they are working with the funding they receive). I completely agree with kernel devs that we don't need to have a separate hardware abstraction layer for each piece of hardware ("If AMD can do it, why can't we?"). That's crazy.

As for the people commenting on the market share affecting funding, market share would increase if we had decent GPU drivers. They have to be decent in compatibility, decent in performance, and decently easy to install. Unfortunately it is far too easy to have recent hardware that fails all 3 of these points in Linux.
          Last edited by Holograph; 08 December 2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
            That's not really how it works. When AMD and Nvidia would have dropped Linux completely we wouldn't be 2.3%.
            it is exactly how it works. amd and nvidia "linux" blobs are developed by windows teams, paid by windows customers(and btw nvidia has more customers). that is the root of all problems. amd opened parts of its crossplatform code, but it can't rewrite it unless you fund it. will you?
            Last edited by pal666; 08 December 2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
              This is 100% AMD's own fault as a company
              actually, this is 100% your own fault as a customer. you can't be seen without microscope
              market share would increase if we had decent GPU drivers.
              so why don't you write decent drivers instead of posting bullshit on forums?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                actually, this is 100% your own fault as a customer. you can't be seen without microscope
                so why don't you write decent drivers instead of posting bullshit on forums?
                Well, I'm not employed by a company to write them, so why would you think I should? Even a lot of Linux development is indeed sponsored, though there are people with more free time than me and that's great. I've paid plenty of money to GPU manufacturers over the years and will continue to do so and I do own 2 machines with AMD GPUs, though one of them is dated (the other is a 290x which is still recent and no I'm not going to buy every generation of card because it's not going to get me better drivers). The size of the community isn't my fault any more than it's an individual AMD driver developer's fault that the budget their group has to work with is small. Your post is far more petty than mine and is a lot closer to BS. I was going to just ignore it but fortunately I can take the high road with my response. Have a nice day!

Comment

Well, I'm not employed by a company to write them, so why would you think I should?
                  because you insist on having them in a way which requires many developers, but did not pay enough to hire so many developers
                  I've paid plenty of money to GPU manufacturers over the years
                  you paid two orders of magnitude less than windows customers, you now have your undermanned drivers
                  The size of the community isn't my fault
                  of course it is community's fault and nobody else. if you can't pay for hiring developers, you have to develop drivers yourself
                  any more than it's an individual AMD driver developer's fault that the budget their group has to work with is small.
                  their budget depends only on customers. i.e. on you. it is all your fault
                  Last edited by pal666; 08 December 2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Unless AMD changes its strategy and removes the abstraction layer, it won't be upstreamed.

Comment

According to netmarketshare.com
                      it doesn't track amd card buyers, does it?
                      our community grew about 24% last year and 40% this year. If it continues this way we might even hit 50% desktop marketshare until 2022
                      and if you look at steam stats, then if it continues this way we might even dip below 0.5% before 2022
                      When you can install the OS and everything within 5 Minutes, and even the GPU works without any further efforts
                      i see some issues with this scenario with vega. like there will be no support in distro kernel for long time because of subj

Comment

Working...
                      X