Developers Discuss Future Of CD/DVD Optical Images For Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
    Me thinks the Fedora developers all got new hardware as an early Christmas present? Maybe they forgot that older hardware is clueless about booting from USB? Older hardware still being 64bit that is...
    How old are you thinking of? I've not burned a boot CD for well over a decade... maybe one of the first Fedora releases. USB boot has been reliably present on every machine I've used since pretty much forever...

Comment

Installing from a flash drive or a CD should make no difference. Both are made from the same iso files at the end-user level. Unless Fedora devs want to introduce some obscure, unnecessary way of distributing the OS, I don't even know what they're talking about. Still desperately trying to prove they're not Microsoft? We know.

Comment

I use ISO images very frequently for install all my VirtualBox virtual machines: Fedora, Mint and CentOS mainly. That use to happen in a monthly basis, depending of what application or database I want to put into the VM. Because the ISO are already downloaded for the VMs, I normally burn it and use those also for bare metal installation. So I use ISO images continuously.

Comment

I install Linux from ISO images stored on an external HDD which simulate being a CD-drive.
          You have the capacity and reliability of an HDD and the ease of use similar to an USB key: best of both world.

Comment

I can't say I use CD's any more but I still use 8.5GB DVD's to backup data. I use USB sticks too but I dunno about long-term storage on those things. I've still got 20 year old DVD's laying around here that work perfectly. I thought about Blu-Ray for storage but it's not really at the top of my list right now but I'll look into it.

These guys forget that people are still using 5 year old Mobos that don't support booting from USB. So this is a bad Idea I think. I don't think it was thought through. Even still, I think somebody would make the DVD ISOs if they decided to stop doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              I always install my OSes using DVD+R. As long as the disc isn't burned multi-session, it ensures that I can verify the disc against its hash when I burn it and then be confident it won't get infected with malware later.
              You can do that even with Fedora flash disks, using checkisomd5 or a menu item during boot. But it's true that if you automount your partitions, the checksums might go off in some time (if anything writes to that partition).

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
              Me thinks the Fedora developers all got new hardware as an early Christmas present? Maybe they forgot that older hardware is clueless about booting from USB? Older hardware still being 64bit that is...
              Can you be more specific what hardware that is? And do you use that hardware to boot Fedora Alpha/Beta releases or e.g. install Fedora Server (using real spinning media instead of PXE or any other approach)?

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Installing from a flash drive or a CD should make no difference. Both are made from the same iso files at the end-user level. Unless Fedora devs want to introduce some obscure, unnecessary way of distributing the OS, I don't even know what they're talking about. Still desperately trying to prove they're not Microsoft? We know.
              PC firmware uses different code paths to boot from optical drive and from USB disk. So it is possible to introduce a bug which will break one and not the other. Which is exactly what happened not that long ago for Fedora composes. So if we tested only USB boot and not optical boot, we wouldn't know that the latter is completely broken.

Originally posted by jpp650 View Post
              I use ISO images very frequently for install all my VirtualBox virtual machines: Fedora, Mint and CentOS mainly. That use to happen in a monthly basis, depending of what application or database I want to put into the VM. Because the ISO are already downloaded for the VMs, I normally burn it and use those also for bare metal installation. So I use ISO images continuously.
              Virtual machine booting is not affected by the proposal. Also, the same ISO images can be burned to USB sticks (using dd or Fedora Media Writer). Do you burn those images to optical disks, and is there any reason why USB sticks wouldn't work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                These guys forget that people are still using 5 year old Mobos that don't support booting from USB. So this is a bad Idea I think. I don't think it was thought through. Even still, I think somebody would make the DVD ISOs if they decided to stop doing it.
                I'd be very interested to hear which 5 year old hardware can't boot from USB, can you give some examples? Also, have you seen that the proposal is targeted at some very specific conditions (just Alpha/Beta releases, or Server flavor)?

Comment

Another reason not to use Fedora.
                  Seriously guys???
                  I have DVD drives on all my desktop computers and my Laptop
                  I wanted to buy a Blu-ray drive too, but I cannot afford it at the moment.
                  For movies these are perfec because of their menus, no video container supports them as far as I know.
                  For testing Linux distros I have rewritable CDs and DVDs.
                  If I want to give a friend a Linux distro to check it out, I give him the optical disk, I cannot afford to give him my flash drive.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post
                    I install Linux from ISO images stored on an external HDD which simulate being a CD-drive.
                    You have the capacity and reliability of an HDD and the ease of use similar to an USB key: best of both world.
                    Hi, can you tell me how do you do this, please.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Another reason not to use Fedora.
                      Seriously guys???
                      I have DVD drives on all my desktop computers and my Laptop
                      I wanted to buy a Blu-ray drive too, but I cannot afford it at the moment.
                      For movies these are perfec because of their menus, no video container supports them as far as I know.
                      For testing Linux distros I have rewritable CDs and DVDs.
                      If I want to give a friend a Linux distro to check it out, I give him the optical disk, I cannot afford to give him my flash drive.
                      If you read the proposal carefully (or at least the Phoronix article), you'll see that Fedora Workstation Live optical support is going to stay no matter what. Or do you often give your friends Alpha/Beta composes? Or do you give them Server DVD/netinst? I'm curious, please elaborate.

Comment

Working...
                      X