The Rumor Is Back That Future Intel CPUs To Use Radeon Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

These were all good ideas that already existed in the high-end server market. In the consumer and low-end server space AMD got there first by grabbing the design team for the DEC Alpha.
    I wish Alpha proper had survived to this day – imagine where we could have been …

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

I wish Alpha proper had survived to this day – imagine where we could have been …
      It has - look at 'China'.
      SW26010: 256 'Alpha' cores + 4 big control cores...
      HPC.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

It has - look at 'China'.
        SW26010: 256 'Alpha' cores + 4 big control cores...
        HPC.
        Or NOT...
        The former ShenWei SW1600 wa 'based' on Alpha ISA.
        Greetings.

Comment

If only Intel had dropped a bunch of [Itaniums] at $300 or so...
          Which was probably the point: they could never match the price/performance of x86 when new.

By the way, anybody else see this announcement as a second setback for Intel’s home-grown graphics efforts? Anybody remember Timna?

Comment

Oh and Itanium was great. I have a rack-mount box I got off EBay with Itanium 2 chips. At 1.6 GHz these Itaniums could beat the pants off Opterons at 2.2 GHz. This did depend on using the right kind of code and heavily optimized C++ compiles with profiling feedback.
            But it depended on what you were using it for. At the time it came out, Itanium was great for tasks that were all about number-crunching - but supercomputing is a small market. Most enterprise tasks tend to be database driven, and for that kind of activity, Itanium kind of sucked considering what it cost. So when datacenters and the like went with something a little more cost-effective, that left Itanium with a very small and unsustainable niche market...

Comment

You can also watch this vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbmX3dWwj4

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                don't see the point the intel iris hd are better than amd apu.
                It is somewhat better currently but on something else than GPU, that is using smaller nm process, DDR4, eDRAM and all that on faster singlethread IPC CPUs... basically everything else is better but not GPUs actually

Imagine some Zen APU, 14nm, DDR4 and HBM... and then compare it with highest end Intel iGPU
                Last edited by dungeon; 07 December 2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

I've read that Intel may not end up using Radeon GPUs on its processors, but needs a new licensing deal because the current deal with nVidia will expire in 2017. The licenses are necessary because it wouldn't be doable to avoid using patented technology of AMD and nVidia.
                  They could've bought img.
                  I'd LOVE to see their tech latched on to an intel cpu.

Comment

Well....there's always Nvidia's Denver...

**crickets**

Comment

the Dec alpha team was bought by amd and it produced the Athlon- and the same guy went on and produced the Opteron, also knonw by the masses by Athlon 64 so i'd say that the legacy still continues.. i remember having an A64 dual channel oveclocked to FX-58 levels- monstrousity.
                      Last edited by sireangelus; 08 December 2016, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X