X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obligatory:

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      True, but unfortunately for Oculus, they lost a lot of their potential (and existing) customers due to pricing, software compatibility, broken Kickstarter promises, and the whole Facebook thing. To my understanding, Oculus no longer has any significant advantage over Vive, and OSVR+Leap Motion are slowly catching up (but still a worse overall experience).
      They have a couple of patents that aren't horrible. Here's a review of VR patents: http://www.kenedict.com/whos-doing-w...ical-activity/

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
        Don't get me wrong I'm glad Khronos is working on this, but holy crap do they take forever to do anything.
        It's not like VR is a thing and a few more months/years to do things right means a lost opportunity. Quite the contrary: https://www.techpowerup.com/228419/2...estment-bubble

Comment

There is also WebVR as a standard for VR for browsers.

Comment

As an OSVR user, I personally am really liking the way OpenVR is turning out. It seems to be very well supported and it works great even on unsupported headsets. I still don't fully understand if Khronos intends to adopt OpenVR, or just use pieces of it in the same way they did with Mantle for Vulkan.
            OpenVR is a sorta open standard, but to date its only implementation is the proprietary SteamVR runtime that is also tied to the proprietary steam client and they still don't have a proper linux version. Two of the most important assets are the integration into unity (fully proprietary and windows-only) and unreal (source code available with unreal engine, could probably be ported but still windows only). So as an OSVR user on Linux I got zero value from OpenVR. To be fair, I don't get much more from OSVR themselves, but still.

Also I fixed khronos' image:

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
              Don't get me wrong I'm glad Khronos is working on this, but holy crap do they take forever to do anything.
              Yes, they are slow as hell. I'm sure big organizations like this are slow to move, but I'm sure Microsoft will do things sooner with their DirectX

There's a joke about their name that is very similar to "Valve Time" and it's also funny because Chronos is the god of time in Greek mythology

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                OpenVR is a sorta open standard, but to date its only implementation is the proprietary SteamVR runtime that is also tied to the proprietary steam client and they still don't have a proper linux version. Two of the most important assets are the integration into unity (fully proprietary and windows-only) and unreal (source code available with unreal engine, could probably be ported but still windows only). So as an OSVR user on Linux I got zero value from OpenVR. To be fair, I don't get much more from OSVR themselves, but still.
                Valve is actively trying to get OpenVR ported to Linux, and they are also actively supporting OSVR (about 2 weeks ago, OSVR is now officially supported in the Steam store). According to another Phoronix article, SteamVR is supposed to be available to Linux pretty soon.

I too am an OSVR user so I know very well your pain about using it in Linux. It's a shame because it's much easier to use and maintain in Linux, but nothing works with it. I suspect we'll get plenty of content and more developer attention once SteamVR is officially released. I just hope Leap Motion Orion gets a Linux release soon...

Comment

I just hope this decade's VR fad ends quickly...

Comment

According to another Phoronix article, SteamVR is supposed to be available to Linux pretty soon.
                    Yes, in a couple of months * Valve Time factor.

1.5 years ago we already had a steamvr version that didn't have the compositor, but it was pretty working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIpa502vQQY so it should have been officially supported pretty soon after. But today I'm still waiting.

Comment

I just hope Mechwarrior 5 comes to Linux and supports VR! VR is immersive as hell. The newer versions are definitely a massive shift in how we play. But I personally think it's going to remain limited to Racing/Flight/Space flight games for the near future. The Running/Shooting games don't make sense yet. The Treadmill and gun peripherals cost thousands of dollars.

Comment

Working...
                      X