Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 Does A 64-bit Spin For The Raspberry Pi 3

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 Does A 64-bit Spin For The Raspberry Pi 3

Following SUSE Linux Enterprise Server as being available in a 64-bit edition catered to the Raspberry Pi 3, openSUSE developers have now released a 64-bit image of Leap 42.2 for the RPi3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the meantime Gentoo's 64 bit arch has tons of problems on the Pi 3
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

wow it must be a superlight release Very interesting.

Comment

I've read arguments for 64bit being both good and bad for emulation on the RPi. Maybe this debate can be put to rest soon. I'm not sure that the Phoronix suite is the right test bed though...... network tests, mp3 encoding, pure gpu performance tests don't really prove anything for emulators.

Comment

https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/a...raspberry-pi-3 doesn't have a 64-bit version for RPi 3 yet :-(

Comment

Because of the OBS machinery, which makes it possible to automate build repositories and images for a huge range of platforms, OpenSUSE has several images specific for the various Raspberry Pi models, as well as several other ARM platforms (as well as PowerPC, IBM zSeries, and a host of other platforms, including good old-fashioned Intel x86 32/64bit). As another aside, OBS can also build repositories for Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, Debian, RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux, etc. etc.

You can pick which graphic environment you want, ranging from a pretty basic (I think it is just console, but probably includes support for framebuffer) "Just Enough Operating System" (JeOS), Xfce, LXQt, plain bare bones X11, and Enlightenment.

YaST2 makes system administration easy in both a graphic (GTK or Qt) and console (Curses) installation, including software installation. YaST2's software installation is pretty easy (browse descriptions, search for specific terms/names), but the real power is Zypper working in the background. Zypper is by far the easiest and most robust package manager I have used (see en.opensuse.org/images/1/17/Zypper-cheat-sheet-1.pdfand en.opensuse.org/images/7/76/Zypper-cheat-sheet-2-letter.pdf). You may need to search for the software you are looking for (while search criteria are limited, it is pretty easy to use software.opensuse.org/search to identify which repositories, including those created by individuals (the "home" repositories, you can browse repos at download.opensuse.org/repositories/).

Have fun!

Comment

Working...
            X