Mesa 12.0.4 Being Prepped For Ubuntu 16.10/16.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
    dungeon Glad to see Debian doing better than it did until a few months back!
    Eh, Debian is not just about rolling like Arch

But yeah, Freeze is comming in 2 months so everything is now rolling stable

Comment

I just hope they keep releasing software, because last freeze meant that Testing/Sid didn't receive software for months.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
        I just hope they keep releasing software, because last freeze meant that Testing/Sid didn't receive software for months.
        Well that stop will be again as that is Freeze means - work begining on enterprise-like quality, only patching, only bugfixes and no more upgrades

It is just temporarily currently that everything super roll in Debian Sid, as everybody is in hurry updating their stack as much as they can

Comment

I'm currently on Manjaro, having used nearly every distro I could find. While I do see the point of having stable and LTS distros for servers, they're somewhat broken for desktops.

If all the *testing* they do for the SRU was really needed, I'm pretty sure rolling and semi-rolling releases would have loads of problems, which is just not true. Most of the bugs I see reported again and again on the Launchpad just don't happen on Manjaro and Arch. Do you know why? Because they had been fixed upstream. Seriously, if Arch can get pretty much every package out there up to date and still work better than Ubuntu, I can't see why they can't update to the latest upstream after some more testing. You know, like Fedora does. That's the right way of doing a desktop distro, IMHO.

Comment

Thing is, you can't have total rolling-enterprise distro You just can't really have both in the same time

You should compare Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable with RHEL, while for example Debian Sid is like Fedora in that land

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
              That's the right way of doing a desktop distro, IMHO.
              Well opinions vary what the Desktop is, some like rolling - some don't Usually people care only for selected packages to roll, but not really everything as with that there are chance for breakages of course, etc...

Comment

Of course there is, but I don't think is justifies freezing whole software packages (think LibreOffice, for example) for over two years and leaving critical bugs open just because it was fixed upstream and not by some of their developers or something. Not even Debian leaves things like that. I mean, they have the decency to add stuff to backports if there's a high chance of breaking something and leave it to the user, but not things like being unable to use two monitors without crashing if you open anything that uses OpenGL (in any desktop), or not being able to shut down you PC just because you had to backport a change from systemd 230 to 229. Quite honestly, backporting changes from the upstream itself seems kinda dumb to me as it leads to much more work being done at fixing stuff upstream and other efforts.

I mean, IMH{O}.

Comment

Well it is hard but that is how it is, software development and what users want is not always in sync. With new software you have new features, some bug fixed but in the same time with progression it is not unusual that you might have another and new bugs... also has regressions too, thus rolling-enterprise is impossible

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                    Quite honestly, backporting changes from the upstream itself seems kinda dumb to me as it leads to much more work being done at fixing stuff upstream and other efforts.

I mean, IMH{O}.
                    Dumb or not, either it would be hard for developers or it would be hard for users, choose what you want ... so anyway, this or other way it would be hard for someone

Comment

A simple question: why fedora, opensuse distros take benefits from "core profile" in opengl, despite of ubuntu distros which stuck over "compatibility profile"?

Comment

Working...
                      X