X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.1 Makes Its Debut

Phoronix: PHP 7.1 Makes Its Debut

PHP 7.1 is now officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like a nice release.

Too bad it doesn't support decorators. Which would make it much easier to work with frameworks, example MVC frameworks.
    Decorators are supported in Python, Java and C#.

Example from ASP.NET MVC in C#.
    Code:
    [Authorize]
    [HttpPost]
    public IActionResult Index()
    {
        return View();
    }
    So before the method is executed, it executes the Authorize decorator and the HttpPost decorator which checks if the request is valid for that method.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Looks like a nice release.

Too bad it doesn't support decorators. Which would make it much easier to work with frameworks, example MVC frameworks.
      Decorators are supported in Python, Java and C#.

Example from ASP.NET MVC in C#.
      Code:
      [Authorize]
      [HttpPost]
      public IActionResult Index()
      {
      return View();
      }
      So before the method is executed, it executes the Authorize decorator and the HttpPost decorator which checks if the request is valid for that method.
      I get what you're trying to say, but that provides no benefits for frameworks, and in fact is probably a violation of SOLID principles.
      And you can do decorators on PHP - in the right, OOP way.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelix View Post

I get what you're trying to say, but that provides no benefits for frameworks, and in fact is probably a violation of SOLID principles.
        And you can do decorators on PHP - in the right, OOP way.
        It provides benefits to frameworks by making them easier to use by developers.
        Not sure which way it would violate the SOLID principles.

You can't do decorators in PHP unless you mean;
        PHP Code:
        function index()
        {

parent::decorators->authorize();

parent::decorators->httpPost();
            return 
        parent::view();

Meanwhile native support for decorators is available in many other languages such as Java, C# and Python. I think also Ruby.
        Last edited by uid313; 02 December 2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

What I care the most right now is about performance, has anyone benchmarked php 7.0 vs php 7.1?

Comment

PHP Code:
            function index()
            {
            return 

Meanwhile native support for decorators is available in many other languages such as Java, C# and Python. I think also Ruby.
            I was hoping to "inb4 missing decorators", but a conference call blocked me.

Your decorator example isn't clear. You can almost do decorators, unless an interface declares the constructor, or unless you have particular reference requirements in an interface method (which is rare these days,) using __call().

Truthfully though, any symfony project could appreciate better using native decorators, for service overrides (including frameworks like Drupal.)

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post

I was hoping to "inb4 missing decorators", but a conference call blocked me.

Your decorator example isn't clear. You can almost do decorators, unless an interface declares the constructor, or unless you have particular reference requirements in an interface method (which is rare these days,) using __call().

Truthfully though, any symfony project could appreciate better using native decorators, for service overrides (including frameworks like Drupal.)
              You can already do service overrides very easily in Drupal: https://www.drupal.org/docs/8/api/se...namic-services

PHP Code:
              function index()
              {
              return 

I don't think it makes it any easier and in fact should be avoided.
              Interfaces should be used for the example you gave me for instance.

Comment

After reading all about “JavaScript: the good parts”, I once tried looking for “PHP: the good parts”, but found nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                  After reading all about “JavaScript: the good parts”, I once tried looking for “PHP: the good parts”, but found nothing...
                  Get past all the hype about PHP and dig into the real power of this language. This book explores the most useful features of PHP and how they can speed … - Selection from PHP: The Good Parts [Book]

there you go! have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by michal

Have you heard about annotations? They are supported by multiple php frameworks.

Code:
                    /** * @Route("/edit/{id}") * @Method({"GET", "POST"})
                    * @Security("has_role('ROLE_ADMIN')")
                    */ public function editAction($id) { }
                    And if you are reffering to python, java and c# features you need to remember, that there are a lot of c++ features that these languages doesn't support. As you should know c++ is king of all languages and all other languages are useless tools for trolls and noobs.

BTW. do you even code in python, java or c#, or you are just a simple phoronix troll?
                    Annotations in comments are not real annotations, they are slow because they are read using reflection and parsing the comments.
                    It would be better if PHP had native support for annotations. Now it is not supported, and implemented in frameworks by dirty hacks done using parsing comments.
                    Yes, I code in Python, Java and C#.

Comment

Working...
                    X