AMD "DAL" Being Renamed To "DC"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ok, you asked for it: are you AMD users, in the absence of working hardware, occupying your time with tracking the history of each and every piece of the driver instead?

Seriously, this is all very important to developers, but completely useless for the end user.
    If you consider Average Joe as end user, he would not touch linux under any circumstances. It bites.
    He won't be reading the article either.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ok, you asked for it: are you AMD users, in the absence of working hardware, occupying your time with tracking the history of each and every piece of the driver instead?

Seriously, this is all very important to developers, but completely useless for the end user.
      As happy as I am that AMD is supporting open source... I'm kinda pissed off too. I bought an RX 480 given that it was being toted as having real open-source Linux support out of the gate, with the expectation that the proper HDMI 2.0 support would be just around the corner. Now it's sounding like support for any of that won't be ready until the card will be nearly 1.5 years old. Had I known that going in, I would have just gone with a 1060 GTX.

The over-hyping by the community may be more at fault for that than AMD is though.

At the end of the day, having hardware that actually works (even if performance is worse) matters more to me than if it's open or not...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        If you consider Average Joe as end user, he would not touch linux under any circumstances. It bites.
        He won't be reading the article either.
        Pointless trolling. He is likely talking of Linux-using end users.

Comment

Originally posted by ownaginatious View Post
          At the end of the day, having hardware that actually works (even if performance is worse) matters more to me than if it's open or not... that's why I stay on Windows.
          fixed.

Really guys, stop using this bullshit argument, if you care about gaming/3Dperformance of the stuff you buy NOW you should be using Windows for that, period (regardless of the card you have bought).

Installing Linux on a gaming rig and adding a NVIDIA card you manage to fail at Linux and also fail at gaming (more because games are ports and because there are few games than due to lack of performance in the driver itself).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            fixed.

Really guys, stop using this bullshit argument, if you care about gaming/3Dperformance of the stuff you buy NOW you should be using Windows for that, period (regardless of the card you have bought).

Installing Linux on a gaming rig and adding a NVIDIA card you manage to fail at Linux and also fail at gaming (more because games are ports and because there are few games than due to lack of performance in the driver itself).
            I think what I wrote was misunderstood. What I meant was, I'm willing to take hardware with open source drivers that work at a performance hit under the pretense that they actually do work. I'm not much of a gamer, so 2D/3D graphics performance on par with Windows is a bonus.

I specifically got this card for the HDMI 2.0 support so I could drive a 4K TV I'm using as a monitor at 60 Hz. Without DAL/DC, that literally doesn't work at all.
            Last edited by ownaginatious; 02 December 2016, 05:04 PM.

Comment

How about running the kernel DKMS package from AMDGPU-pro (or building a kernel from amd-staging-4.7) along with the rest of the all-open stack ?

Is the issue that DAL in the AMDGPU-PRO & staging builds doesn't support HDMI 2.0, or just that you don't get DAL with a stock kernel ?
              Test signature

Comment

It is guy with Vizio D40u-D1 TV and that has some kind of limitations:

2.0 Supported Resolutions

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
                : No
                1080p @ 120Hz
                4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4
                4k @ 60Hz
                : Yes
                4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

For 4k @ 60Hz support, use the labelled HDMI port (HDMI5).
                Update: 4k @ 60Hz is limited to 4:2:0. 4k @ 30Hz supports 4:2:2.

The Vizio D Series 4k UHD LED TV is a good budget TV that delivers better than average picture quality. Its aesthetic won't win anyone over, but it handles motio...

People can't even run Playstation 4 PRO at 4K hdmi on that TV

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  How about running the kernel DKMS package from AMDGPU-pro (or building a kernel from amd-staging-4.7) along with the rest of the all-open stack ?

Is the issue that DAL in the AMDGPU-PRO & staging builds doesn't support HDMI 2.0, or just that you don't get DAL with a stock kernel ?
                  I actually have been running a kernel compiled from the amd-staging-4.7 branch for a while now, which is supposed to support HDMI 2.0, but that doesn't work for me either. I have all the bleeding edge requirements for it too (e.g. mesa and others).

I posted a bug report, which unfortunately hasn't been getting much attention: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98333

Running my own compiled kernel is becoming a hassle too, given that its starting to diverge from the mainline (at least for Arch Linux). That I can live with for the most part, though.

I tried AMDGPU-PRO a while back, but couldn't get any video or it'd crash to the console (seemed to be a common issue at the time). I may try it again though to see if things have gotten better.
                  Last edited by ownaginatious; 02 December 2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    It is guy with Vizio D40u-D1 TV and that has some kind of limitations:

The Vizio D Series 4k UHD LED TV is a good budget TV that delivers better than average picture quality. Its aesthetic won't win anyone over, but it handles motio...

People can't even run Playstation 4 PRO at 4K hdmi on that TV
                    I see it's gaining quite a bit of fame for being a pain in the ass -.-

Comment

Maybe the Linux driver isn't currently able to downgrade to 4:2:0 which that specific monitor requires ?

Anyways, can you look at the info dungeon posted and update the bug ticket mentioning 4:2:0 ? Harry mentioned in the ticket that the driver is successfully running 4K@60 over HDMI with other monitors today.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X