• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It's a 7 year old article.
    so 7 years ago zfs was already obsolete
    It says nothing about the current state of btrfs and how it compares to ZFS in a production environment like a data center. Please bring relevant information the next time you want to hand out "education."
    my information was relevant because you have exactly zero current state of zfs on linux, so btrfs is strictly better. if you need more education, you could always start from here https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....oduction_Users

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      so 7 years ago zfs was already obsolete
      Cool story...

my information was relevant because you have exactly zero current state of zfs on linux, so btrfs is strictly better.
      Mmhmm...
      OpenZFS on Linux and FreeBSD. Contribute to openzfs/zfs development by creating an account on GitHub.

if you need more education, you could always start from here https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....oduction_Users
      "this page is very incomplete"

I think you need to sit in the corner with a dunce cap.

Comment

they couldn't if it is derived from linux. are you sure you could successfully argue in court that linux filesystem module is not derived from linux?
        could you argue in a court that it is?

Comment

I cut my teeth on using *nix in production with Sun hardware and Solaris., before linux really mattered (I think Debian Potato hadn't been released at the time). I was very sad when later it all fell into the hands of Oracle, I had hoped at the time that Apple might buy Sun, because Apple's could have unified their Xserv stuff with Sun's sparc, and possibly kept Solaris relevant.

Now, Solaris Sparc is mostly irrelevant except for niche customers, and Solaris x86 isn't far behind.

Two unix OS's that really needs to die are AIX and HPUX. I and my colleagues have to support software builds on all sorts of platforms and whenever AIX or HPUX problems occur we collectively groan.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
            could you argue in a court that it is?
            He would win, as linux kernel modules have only one use. Being used with Linux kernel. Therefore it's derivative work.

Comment

here is a little education for you from zfs developer https://lwn.net/Articles/342892/
              So the fact that you can run zraid in production and not worry about zfs eating your data is ignored? how about the ZIL cache feature for performance boosting?

btrfs still has many bugs and is (in my opinion) not there yet for production use. I am sure it will one day get there, but for now zfs fills the void of a multi disk aware file system that can be used in production

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post

That is interesting thanks for pointing it out ! I disagree with not needing ZFS though, we definitely need it big time!
                NP

My thoughts regarding the need for zfs come from a few different directions: for users, it's nice but not needed (storage devices offer a few different layers of protection against corruption and random bit flips just aren't that common---if you still want protection you can use btrfs with duplicate data and then utilize regular scrubs, or use the various scripts that will checksum your data and store it, and run scrubs against that, or, whatever), and for the really big users, we've got file systems designed specifically for them (ceph).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  He would win, as linux kernel modules have only one use. Being used with Linux kernel. Therefore it's derivative work.
                  Not that simple. Even Linus has said that if a driver was implemented first for another OS and then ported to Linux it may not be a derivative work.

That said, porting from Unix seems to result in a more positive reception than porting from Windows. In fairness, there may have been an unspoken expectation that the driver was being ported from another OS because Linux did not exist at the time the driver was written.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 03 December 2016, 09:20 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    So the fact that you can run zraid in production and not worry about zfs eating your data is ignored?
                    how can you run some out-of-tree prerelease shit in production?
                    Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    zfs on linux still has many bugs and is (in my opinion) not there yet for production use.
                    fixed

Comment

OpenZFS on Linux and FreeBSD. Contribute to openzfs/zfs development by creating an account on GitHub.
                      lol, you are lost on github. correct repo would be https://github.com/torvalds/linux
                      zero zfs
                      Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial) is only a few short weeks away, and with it comes one of the most exciting new features Linux has seen in a very long time…ZFS — baked directly into Ubuntu — supported by Canonical.What is ZFS?ZFS is a combination of a vol […]
                      we can share random links to shit indefinitely https://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/
                      such production
                      "this page is very incomplete"

I think you need to sit in the corner with a dunce cap.
                      idiot, if page listing production users is very incomplete, then there are much more not listed production users

Comment

Working...
                      X