Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Might Be Canning Solaris

Phoronix: Oracle Might Be Canning Solaris

Oracle might be pulling the plug on the Solaris operating system, at least according to some new rumors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Invest more in Oracle Linux? As in invest something more than taking RHEL and removing the Red Hat label, putting Oracle instead? Does Oracle give Red Hat one cent for cloning RHEL? I am genuinely interested, maybe there's something that I've been missing, some agreement that I'm not aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by silviumc View Post
      Invest more in Oracle Linux? As in invest something more than taking RHEL and removing the Red Hat label, putting Oracle instead? Does Oracle give Red Hat one cent for cloning RHEL? I am genuinely interested, maybe there's something that I've been missing, some agreement that I'm not aware of.
      For that matter, also CentOS is a RHEL clone, and Red Hat is 100% fine with that. Red hat makes money on support contracts not on OS licenses, so they don't really care.

Comment

ZFS and dedicated SPARC support are pretty much the only redeeming qualities of Solaris that I'm aware of. As with just about everything else Oracle touched that was owned by Sun, Solaris is withering away.

Comment

they are not going ti relicence anything. They might include ZFS support in their Linux distribution, making it interesting for someone for the first time. (just because it would be the only enterprise distribution supporting it)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            For that matter, also CentOS is a RHEL clone, and Red Hat is 100% fine with that. Red hat makes money on support contracts not on OS licenses, so they don't really care.
            Interestingly enough, Red Hat even employees most of CentOS' head devs and owns their trademarks, even though they purposely still operate independently from Red Hat. Similar to how Fedora works. Realistically, I would think this is a good idea for them, because then they can also make money off of people who need support for CentOS too, which they most likely do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              Interestingly enough, Red Hat even employees most of CentOS' head devs and owns their trademarks, even though they purposely still operate independently from Red Hat. Similar to how Fedora works. Realistically, I would think this is a good idea for them, because then they can also make money off of people who need support for CentOS too, which they most likely do.
              No wait, I've never seen anyone offering support contracts for CentOS. I was under the impression that the ones needing support would choose RHEL.

Comment

+1 for hoping that ZFS and perhaps Dtrace (if it still has an advantage) comes properly to Linux.

Comment

I'm showing my ignorance here, but what advantages does Solaris have over other Unix-like operating system families? I use both Linux and BSD and can see ups and downs to both of them, but I really have no idea what Solaris offers that the others don't. OpenZFS works well for me on FreeBSD, although it seems to take a performance hit on Linux (even ignoring license issues). Does ZFS work even better in its native operating system than it does on BSD-based OSes? Is there some other feature Solaris has that I'm not aware of that makes it worth using?

Comment

Hardware teams being told to cease development.
                    no more SPARCs and machines based on them?

Comment

Working...
                    X