AMDGPU In Linux 4.10 To Have Better Power Management, New VM Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU In Linux 4.10 To Have Better Power Management, New VM Manager

Phoronix: AMDGPU In Linux 4.10 To Have Better Power Management, New VM Manager

Alex Deucher has sent in the first pull request to DRM-Next of early material to stage for Radeon/AMDGPU DRM kernel driver changes targeting Linux 4.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeh. My R9 380x still will _sometimes_ not clock down all the way after I'm done gaming. I looked at both the temperature with sensors (37C before gaming, 46C after) and power consumption (65W vs 96W). Only a reboot will bring it back down.

Comment

What about "amdgpu.powerplay"? still disable by default?

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
        What about "amdgpu.powerplay"? still disable by default?
        No, the option has disappeared from kconfig as it's enabled by default now

Comment

One of the most ridiculous concepts Ive ever heard of is powerconsumption on C/GPU's.

Do you want a powerful computer or worry about the insignificant difference that you're not doing for the environment?

You know that man-made global warming is a religion, right?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
            One of the most ridiculous concepts Ive ever heard of is powerconsumption on C/GPU's.

Do you want a powerful computer or worry about the insignificant difference that you're not doing for the environment?
            AFAIK most energy is used producing components, not using them. If no attempt to lower power consumption was made, mobile devices would run out of energy quickly and computers would be noisier than necessary. So even if you don't care about the environment you should be happy with advances in power management.
            Ah, and not believing in science is most certainly not...

Comment

Reducing power consumption is not just about cutting down on the electricity bill or helping the environment. High temperatures are generally bad for hardware and electronics. Moreover, if the CPU or GPU is hot, it might be prevented from scaling up, so keeping it cool while idle may well enable boosting it when there's workload.

Comment

Since a long time now, both CPUs and GPUs live on the concept of "race to idle", they boost-throttle, boost-throttle and so on all the times to give the most performance they can only when really needed.

This is because there are obvious thermal limitations and you can't just run at full throttle (true full throttle) all the time without a VERY serious and expensive upgrade to cooling systems (or triggering thermal throttling and tanking performance hard).

If you don't want your PC/laptop to look like a Mad Max's pimped cars erupting flames from exhausts (and occasionally blowing up), then power management is required.

Comment

Congratulations! With this submission, you're the winner of "Trollpost of the week" award.

Comment

The sheer coldness of you guys ganging up is shocking.

I can be a thought-rebel if I so choose. "I dont believe science", atleast I know what "science" in defined as;

Oxford English Dictionary: knowledge gained through study.

The studies, just like the investigation for WTC-attacks where fraudulent.

Have a good day.

Comment

Working...
                    X