NVIDIA Maxwell Support Patches For The Nouveau X.Org Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

my theory is that either they have way too many 3rd party ip in their hardware, and/or they don't want to go through the legal process like amd does with their specification releases.
    We can speculate as long as we want, but the short answer is: they don't have to.
    AMD didn't lift a finger when they were high and mighty either. Only when cornered, they considered doing something radically different.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

We can speculate as long as we want, but the short answer is: they don't have to.
      AMD didn't lift a finger when they were high and mighty either. Only when cornered, they considered doing something radically different.
      Torvalds: Other companies arent perfect either.

Not that im a follower of Torvaldsism, but he did kind of predict HW man fac's behaviour to OSS, so, you're right, they arent perfect, but since the past 2-3 years we, and you, have, I think did a pretty good job of wearing them down, innit!

Comment

you don't seriously claim that amd's driver at the time was any good, are you?

Comment

you don't seriously claim that amd's driver at the time was any good, are you?
          The last card I had from them was an 8500LE. And it's mostly because their driver's (lack of) quality that I went to the green camp.
          But as bridgman has already stated, back in the day, even if there was an incipient open source driver within ATI, they had no problem embracing fglrx when the opportunity presented itself. At the same time, I'm equally convinced that if Nvidia were to have AMD's market share today, Nvidia would be much more open source friendly.
          That's why I ignore politics and fundamentalism (on either part) and just go with hardware I can use to the fullest. I've had an RX480 in my sights this year, but with the present level of support, I got a GTX 1060 instead.

Comment

my theory is that either they have way too many 3rd party ip in their hardware, and/or they don't want to go through the legal process like amd does with their specification releases.
            i explicitly mentioned opening of blob driver, not releasing docs. they can release docs like everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
              other people do not care and go to NVidia for other reasons.
              most of people who go to nvidia are doing it for reason of lack of education

Comment

you've got it backwards. when ati was not able to risk their only revenue stream, they were afraid to do open drivers. when they joined forces with amd, they did open drivers

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  most of people who go to nvidia are doing it for reason of lack of education
                  Or they read benchmarks on Phoronix

Comment

Actually no... we were high and mighty when we restarted the open source effort. If that had not been the case, we would not have been able to do it.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Actually no... we were high and mighty when we restarted the open source effort. If that had not been the case, we would not have been able to do it.
                      According to this, by 2008 you weren't: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphic...vidia_JPR.html
                      But of course, next you're going to tell me you were doing open source drivers at ATI since you were a kid.

Comment

Working...
                      X