Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Maxwell Support Patches For The Nouveau X.Org Driver

Phoronix: NVIDIA Maxwell Support Patches For The Nouveau X.Org Driver

The Nouveau DDX X.Org driver, xf86-video-nouveau, hasn't supported NVIDIA's GTX 750/900 Maxwell graphics processors even though there's been the reverse-engineered, open-source support within the Nouveau DRM kernel driver and NVC0 Gallium3D Mesa driver. Patches revised today implement Maxwell support for the X.Org driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's no doubt that nouveau needs pepper re-clocking support for Maxwell cards, including my GTX 960. I want to be about to run Wayland while be able to play games in Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      There's no doubt that nouveau needs pepper re-clocking support for Maxwell cards, including my GTX 960. I want to be about to run Wayland while be able to play games in Steam.
      What Nouveau needs is for nVidia to stop wasting everyone's time and either release docs or just FOSS their own driver.

Comment

Nvidia needs to release actual documentation. Nouveau is practically a joke for serious power users. I refuse to use a unsupported nvidia card on Linux and I require a open driver since MESA is now a really awesome thing. AMD will take all my money, and if Zen becomes a thing all my builds for the next two years will be Zen & AMD GPU. Otherwise Intel and AMDGPU.

Nvidia cards are expensive and unreliable, you would think when I dropped 800$ on GTX 970's that Linux support wouldn't hang my system and would be able to recover on monitor power off and on...

Thanks to nvidia problems like that are impossible to ever see fixed because they're raising a walled garden where if there's bugs you're screwed.

Comment

Woman: I bought a laptop with a Nvidia GPU and intel HD, and it took six months til there was a driver for linux, and Nvidia still refuses to help

Torvalds responds: Nvidia has been the single worst company weve ever dealt with, and dont get me wrong, other companies arent perfect either, lmoa

Comment

Actually, we can fully reclock those GPUs, what we can't do is control the fans, because we need signed PMU firmwares from nvidia. Blame them.

Comment

I want to be about to run Wayland while be able to play games in Steam.
              sell your videocard and buy radeon

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                FOSS their own driver.
                they can't open their blob like intel and amd can't. but they can employ mesa developers like everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  they can't open their blob like intel and amd can't. but they can employ mesa developers like everyone else
                  my theory is that either they have way too many 3rd party ip in their hardware, and/or they don't want to go through the legal process like amd does with their specification releases.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Nvidia needs to release actual documentation. Nouveau is practically a joke for serious power users. I refuse to use a unsupported nvidia card on Linux and I require a open driver since MESA is now a really awesome thing. AMD will take all my money, and if Zen becomes a thing all my builds for the next two years will be Zen & AMD GPU. Otherwise Intel and AMDGPU.

Nvidia cards are expensive and unreliable, you would think when I dropped 800$ on GTX 970's that Linux support wouldn't hang my system and would be able to recover on monitor power off and on...

Thanks to nvidia problems like that are impossible to ever see fixed because they're raising a walled garden where if there's bugs you're screwed.
                    You should consider Nouveau for old/given machines where performance is not important and stop whining: Nouveau devs do their best so that all cards are working (slower in general but np) and NVidia will not share a lot AFAIK.

So everyone is happy: you want OSS drivers you have them with AMD, other people do not care and go to NVidia for other reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X