BUS1 Kernel Message Bus Posted For Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    and why would they cry about that? if anything, their time to cry was when dbus appeared. know any veteran admins that heavily rely on dbus ?
    know veteran unix admins who will cry at every linux improvement

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
      Because that's exactly what a veteran means: having seen everything
      one of problems of veteran unix admins is they live in alternative reality with alternative definitions

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        veterans unix admins need to read he Unix hater's handbook. At the end of the day a good worksman can use a a tool no matter how bad it is. The fact that people got around without ACLs doesn't mean that Unix security was not deficient.
        People actually use ACL outside of tmpfs?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Every kernel has IPC on it even BSD, get your facts straight.

Second this are attempts to improve the IPC model on Linux like every other OS has done over the years(Mach/Le4/binder/etc) simply because POSIX IPC doesn't cut it anymore and DBUS(or any userspace equivalent) is horribly slow due to context switching(Main reason every other OS IPC is as close as possible to the kernel or in it).

"That's one thing I love about FreeBSD, this shit would never be allowed to happen or be considered" well now you get why BSD is mostly referred in the "Others" category
          Why exactly doesnt POSIX IPC cut it anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Every kernel has IPC on it even BSD, get your facts straight.

Second this are attempts to improve the IPC model on Linux like every other OS has done over the years(Mach/Le4/binder/etc) simply because POSIX IPC doesn't cut it anymore and DBUS(or any userspace equivalent) is horribly slow due to context switching(Main reason every other OS IPC is as close as possible to the kernel or in it).

"That's one thing I love about FreeBSD, this shit would never be allowed to happen or be considered" well now you get why BSD is mostly referred in the "Others" category
            I have my facts perfectly straight. You are putting words in my mouth, I never said BSD didn't have IPC. I was speaking of them completely re-inventing the wheel vs putting a new tire on an existing one.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              i hear veteram unix admins cry
              I hear pal666 sucking and starshit11 jerking.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                one of problems of veteran unix admins is they live in alternative reality with alternative definitions
                Pls do sytemctl restart dbus
                aftrer restart repeat and dont come back

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

it sounds like they don't plan on having users actually use those systems. what do those servers do exactly?
                  1) In veteran admins' view, Linux should be strictly for servers, you should never ever ever think that it may become an alternative to Windows or OSX as a personal desktop OS (and nothing beyond single purpose servers should be worthy of consideration anyway); and

2) if you really must, you should run it with a minimalistic window manager or, ideally, in text mode and be happy with vi, latex and pine.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    People actually use ACL outside of tmpfs?
                    Did you ever want to say let a colleague clone your git or mercurial repo?
                    Did you ever try to enable write access into a host directory from a LXD container?

Unix admin's solution:
                    1) ask root to create a new user group for that purpose including you and your friend Joe
                    2) if he agrees, logout and log back in to enable the group membership.
                    3) ask Joe to do the same
                    4) change the relevant dir's group membership and give say rw access to the group
                    5) deal with the breakage that occurs because the dir may no longer be accessible by the group it used to belong to
                    6) if anyone complains, insist that un1x rul3z and everyone else is a m0r0n

Normal person's solution:
                    1) setfacl -R -m u:joe:rw ~/blah
                    2) There is no 2).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Aren't David Hermann going to finish drmcon and remove TTY support from the kernel?
                      What? No more teletype emulator built into my kernel in 2016? That's a scandal! Whoever came with this outrage must be sent into Veteran Unix Admin reeducation camp!

Comment

Working...
                      X