xfce4-panel 4.12.1 Released, Xfce 4.14 Still A Long Ways Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stqn View Post

People who are unable to configure anything by themselves can install Xubuntu where it looks good out of the box (although it’s unusable due to the 1 pixel window borders and white backgrounds).

Anyway, I wonder what I’ll switch to once Xfce uses Gtk3… LXQt? Or maybe a tiling WM… Or MATE…
    Yup, but KDE for example is fully configurable AND and a very nice default theme, whatever distro you choose.
    So that most people use it as it is and others tweak it for fun/usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Yup, but KDE for example is fully configurable AND and a very nice default theme, whatever distro you choose.
      So that most people use it as it is and others tweak it for fun/usage.
      Agreed. It can even do borderless windows, which, for some reason, I quite like. The only setting I do is select a dark theme.

Comment

Also a new version of xfce4-terminal was quitely released which now makes use of gtk3 and have a better drop down animation when using the --drop-down option for easy 1 key terminal access, overall looks more sexier now

Comment

Oh wait not MATE, they are moving to Gtk3 too.
          Why not use GTK3? GTK3 is now in LTS, so no need to worry about them breaking things.
          As well, GTK3 isn't exactly bloated; I would argue GTK2 was more bloated, but realistically, most of the "bloat" in GNOME 3 comes from the shell, not the toolkit (it's gjs)... Well, unless you have some major beef with Cairo.

Comment

XFCE does exactly what I want. It get's out of my way. All I need is a taskbar, multiple workspaces, multi monitor, doublecommander and a browser. The last thing I need is a desktop that looks too fancy by default. If that scares away the hipsters who only want eyecandy the good, pick another desktop environment. The only thing I miss in XFCE is a decent alt-tab window picker (like skippy-xd / compiz etc), and I would love to be able to desaturate the colors of non-active windows. Apart from that XFCE is stable as a rock so therefore it rocks , and I also agree that a move to GTK3 should bump the version number of XFCE4 to XFCE5

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

It seems they will switch to GTK3 when GTK4 will be released... =°

Comment

People who are unable to configure anything by themselves can install Xubuntu where it looks good out of the box (although it’s unusable due to the 1 pixel window borders and white backgrounds).

Anyway, I wonder what I’ll switch to once Xfce uses Gtk3… LXQt? Or maybe a tiling WM… Or MATE…

I'd have to agree xubuntu is a good xfce distro. Its the first distro I leave almost everything default after a clean install. I use it because I don't need to mess with it.

Don't worry about gtk3. A few parts of xfce has been gtk3 for a while and no one noticed a difference. I hate the 1 px window borders but I see that in a lot of desktop environments not just xfce. Xubuntu ships with an accessibility window theme I use for that exact reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
                  It seems they will switch to GTK3 when GTK4 will be released... =°
                  Well it makes sense, GTK3 is going to be stable/LTS. So considering their slow development, targeting the LTS makes sense.

Comment

With a nice theme, Xfce works fine for me. But it does feel like it's getting old in certain areas so I am probably switching to KDE or Gnome on my next upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

Only the default settings are ugly. XFCE is probably the most costumizable desktop environment. It's meant to be customized.
                      MATE is more, but have a lot of more bugs, xfce is more stable

Comment

Working...
                      X