Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xfce4-panel 4.12.1 Released, Xfce 4.14 Still A Long Ways Out

Phoronix: xfce4-panel 4.12.1 Released, Xfce 4.14 Still A Long Ways Out

Xfce4-panel 4.12.1 has been released as a "long overdue maintenance release" while Xfce 4.14 is still in its infancy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should they just be calling the next release xfce5 at this point? Those are large enough target features not to mention this 2 year wait. its a bit of a pity too, I'd love a small footprint gtk3 desktop

Comment

Wonder if they're working on getting it working on Wayland too now when they're porting to GTK3.
      But probably not. 2 years is a long time without a release.

Comment

Such an ugly desktop environment and slow in development, if I wanted something lightweight but still decent looking I would opt for MATE or LQXT.

Comment

I love their logo

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Such an ugly desktop environment and slow in development, if I wanted something lightweight but still decent looking I would opt for MATE or LQXT.
            Only the default settings are ugly. XFCE is probably the most costumizable desktop environment. It's meant to be customized.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post

Only the default settings are ugly. XFCE is probably the most costumizable desktop environment. It's meant to be customized.
              Not a reason to put such an horror by default... they could get more users by defaulting something better so that people do not say "beurk, no way" after 1mn of testing.

Comment

Yes. Changes on that, and their landing page would have a huge impact on users perception. It's very from 2004.
                Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Not a reason to put such an horror by default... they could get more users by defaulting something better so that people do not say "beurk, no way" after 1mn of testing.
                  People who are unable to configure anything by themselves can install Xubuntu where it looks good out of the box (although it’s unusable due to the 1 pixel window borders and white backgrounds).

Anyway, I wonder what I’ll switch to once Xfce uses Gtk3… LXQt? Or maybe a tiling WM… Or MATE…

Comment

Oh wait not MATE, they are moving to Gtk3 too.

Comment

Working...
                    X