This Mini $109 GTX 1050 Might Be Great For A HTPC / Living Room Steam Linux PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Dear Nvidia, if you want to make a really good HTPC (non-gaming) desktop card, make it:

- small (single slot and/or dual slot passively-cooled, not too long)

- use a core from the latest gen with latest PureVideo/VDPAU (not rebadged or rebranded Fermi/Kepler/Maxwell)

- cheaper (closer to $80 off the web, $100 on a brick and mortar store shelf)

Nvidia doesn't seem to want to do that though.

Not enough profit margin, I guess.

I'm not going to hold my breath for an awesome Pascal-based GT1040.
    I stay waiting same GT 1040 if specs on videocards are confirmed: 512 shaders / 32 tmus / 16rops but need know card tdp

But as your said dont pay more 80us and need know if nvidia dont cut nvenc feature as occur in GM108

Comment

Dear Nvidia, if you want to make a really good HTPC (non-gaming) desktop card, make it:
      - small (single slot and/or dual slot passively-cooled, not too long)
      Partners will take care of that. The standard version should not be like this though.

- use a core from the latest gen with latest PureVideo/VDPAU (not rebadged or rebranded Fermi/Kepler/Maxwell).
      You might already know, but GTX 1050 actually is Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Most sites have not update their "best card for less than 150$" article so people are still buying it....

Concerning this micro-card: I love that format, my next pc will be a small factor so I can put my screen on it and save space.
        Well, if you want to put your monitor on it then you'll need one of those mini itx cases that come with a riser extension for the gpu. But then you can install a full-length card. If you want a small itx case that you can stick your monitor on, the only option you have is an integrated GPU, in which case I'd say wait for AMD Zen APUs. Otherwise, there are some nice cube-ish itx cases that take only small cards.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

The outputs require use of two slots and there is no way around that without changing the HDMI and DP to mini ports and dropping the DVI.
          Uh... I don't think that's the reason. AFAIK, the only reason this is a double-wide is because of normal heat sink and fan requirements. Not because of the ports (since many of us still have adequate single slot GPU's with possible even more connectors on them).

Comment

Would be great to see two things in the upcoming reviews:
            1. Deep Learning Benchmarks for (1050, 1050ti, 1060, 1070 and 1080)
            2. OpenGL (Steam) comparisons vs AMD using both the OSS and Hybrid drivers.

Comment

I wonder how much faster the 1050Ti will be over my 570.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I wonder how much faster the 1050Ti will be over my 570.
                According gpudatabase

GTX 570 have 40nm / 219w of TDP / 480 shaders / 60 tmus / 40 rops / 152gb/s memory bandwidth

vs

GTX 1050ti have between 14nm / 70 to 75w (regular versions no oc models) / 768 shaders / 48 tmus / 32 rops / 112gb/s memory bandwidth

GP107 have low tdp, without forget since maxwell need less shaders compared with kepler for make same task

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post

The outputs require use of two slots and there is no way around that without changing the HDMI and DP to mini ports and dropping the DVI.
                  Did you even look at the picture in the article? It has a single slot backplate, and has a double slot cooler. Even if your excuse was acceptable, this card doesn't make use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    I'm more interested in what kind of card AMD could do at this form factor.
                    AMD can do R9 Nano in that form factor

So it is likely that more GDDR5 memory what eating space as always

Comment

And on Windows as expected, sometimes slower sometimes faster then RX 460

Comment

Working...
                      X