Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that they all cheat on consumer market, but less on professional

Comment

• No cheating on Radeon Pro SSG, only raw pictures please - that will cost you $10K

Comment

• To be honest, these benchmark results are much better than I expected:
        - I don't think I'd ever seen 90+ FPS for Bioshock with Mesa on Phoronix.
        - CS:GO, Tesseract, and Xonotic results at 4K look competitive with NVIDIA.

Comment

• Originally posted by marek View Post
          That is most probably because of SKL Xeon involved in this one

Comment

To be honest, these benchmark results are much better than I expected:
            - CS:GO, Tesseract, and Xonotic results at 4K look competitive with NVIDIA.
            Agree. I am impressed by the progress. I still believe there is some optimization possible but maybe after implementing more important features.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            If we ever have a lot of free time I would be really tempted to work on a hacked-up set of drivers that cut out most of the API validation code, so we can have a more apples-to-apples comparison..
            I think this would be a great idea. Or maybe a switch that can be edited to bypass the API validation code. If it can help with CPU bottleneck.

I for one am happy with the results. Since I've been working a lot overtime in the last year, I'm planning to buy a gaming laptop with a mobile RX 480 and a Zen APU. If there will be one .

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              That is most probably because of SKL Xeon involved in this one
              Yeah that @ 4GHz proably has 20% more singlethread IPC then previously used one... could Zen reach there, is yet to be seen

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post

Got a particular image/link? Somewhat recall what you might be thinking of, but what makes it harder is that all PTS code is universal and not specific to any specific test profiles, so like no graphics-specific hacks, plus the fact of the visual presentation / design element not being my strong point.
                I think this is what he means: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/...4#.WA-ytBOMQwE

I found it super annoying at first. Then liked it. And now they've stopped doing that and test largely like everybody else
                They also do visual comparisons. Haven't found anything noteworthy in recent years, which is why I believe the previous poster was full of it when talking about IQ.

Comment

Two points:
                  - Please don't even consider testing the Mesa OpenCL driver. It's been abandoned. It won't see any new work. If you want to test OpenCL, the closed driver is the only way.
                  - Similarly for radv. It's not our driver. If you want to compare radv with nvidia, call it "NVIDIA vs Red Hat". But not AMD.

If you can't test the closed driver, just say that, but falling back on Mesa OpenCL or radv isn't a solution.
                  Please don't say Red Hat, NVIDIA vs radv or community drivers. calling it Red Hat is kinda unfair in that a lot of it was written by a non-RH employee.

Dave.

Comment

• I been noticing at low resolutions AMD drivers don't really run at a high fps like nvidia cards. But when you start turning up the resolution AMD cards don't drop as much percentage wise.

Also would like to note that some native games like tf2 or gmod run slower than crysis does in wine. L4D2 would make my nvidia card breath fire with vsync off because it would utilize a lot of the gpu. On amd it doesn't radeon top confirms this. I'm running a 270x atm. I still question how well optimized for AMD hardware some programs are.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Nvidia's driver -DOES- cheat on visual fidelity. Absolutely yes. But your numbers don't show that fact. Your numbers show hundreds of FPS but not visual quality or user experience at all. Which is -the- reason why they don't mean anything. What is the point in reproducing numbers that don't represent anyones usage?
                      Ohh stop.

You people won't be satisfied until the colors on those graphs are completely reversed, then you'll be praising how representative of reality these benchmarks are.

For April 1 Michael should run the same benchmarks but switch the video card labels and colors. The forum thread would be hilarious.

The truth has always been that if you want open drivers on a discrete GPU you need to buy AMD. But you will have to accept a penalty in terms of performance and features. If you're willing to do that, fine. But don't lie to yourself and everyone else here and pretend that sacrifice isn't being made.

Comment

Working...
                      X