NVIDIA 375.10 vs. Linux 4.8 + Mesa 13.1-dev AMD GPU Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Past comparisons have shown the GL performance is close to the same these days. Plus most Linux gamers seem to be using the open AMD stack over closed. And there hasn't been an AMDGPU-PRO release even yet for Ubuntu 16.10
    I'm so glad I stayed in the green camp for this round. I wanted AMD to succeed in their efforts, but as I have noted before, while their intentions were commendable, it's the execution that counts at the end of the day.
    I'm sure there's a huge amount of work behind those results, but as long as they still can't offer day 1 support for Ubuntu (or whatever time-based distro), they're not there yet imho.

Comment

Wanted to try these drivers but no update on the 'graphics-drivers ppa' they are usually pretty quick, hmm.

Comment

I guess that amdgpu-pro currently targets last two longterm kernels, as SteamOS use 4.1 and Ubuntu 4.4

That might be plan for them, sometimes does not really make sense to support kenrels that everybody will forget in less then 3 months... anybody uses EOLed 4.7 kernel still?

Comment

So 4.7 from July to October and good bye, who cares

Current 4.9-rc2 now break building vmware, nvidia, fglrx... modules and who knows what else not , things simple break there non stop - but longterm is lonterm

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            I guess that amdgpu-pro currently targets last two longterm kernels, as SteamOS use 4.1 and Ubuntu 4.4

That might be plan for them, sometimes does not really make sense to support kenrels that everybody will forget in less then 3 months... anybody uses EOLed 4.7 kernel still?
            My problem is Ubuntu doesn't even release using the most recent kernel. When you can't even support non-recent kernels, that's a big red flag in my book (partly because I almost got burnt by a similar problem once).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Past comparisons have shown the GL performance is close to the same these days. Plus most Linux gamers seem to be using the open AMD stack over closed. And there hasn't been an AMDGPU-PRO release even yet for Ubuntu 16.10
              OKay, I mistunderstood, thank you very much!

Comment

[QUOTE=bug77;n906817] My problem is Ubuntu doesn't even release using the most recent kernel. /QUOTE]

Hm, how so? Ubuntu 16.10 uses 4.8.x kernel and last release is 4.8 on kernel.org, so?

Comment

Two points:
                  - Please don't even consider testing the Mesa OpenCL driver. It's been abandoned. It won't see any new work. If you want to test OpenCL, the closed driver is the only way.
                  - Similarly for radv. It's not our driver. If you want to compare radv with nvidia, call it "NVIDIA vs Red Hat". But not AMD.

If you can't test the closed driver, just say that, but falling back on Mesa OpenCL or radv isn't a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

On a Windows system the 480 and the 1060 are balanced most of the time and game devs does not seem to help red or green team.
                    Actually it bounces between the 1060 and a 970 depending on the game and the resolution.

Comment

marek you sound kinda pissed with these results

Comment

Working...
                      X