Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sends In First Graphics Driver Changes For Linux 4.10

Phoronix: Intel Sends In First Graphics Driver Changes For Linux 4.10

We're only up to Linux 4.9-rc2 but as usual Daniel Vetter has already prepared a pull request of drm-intel-next to begin staging Intel kernel graphics/display driver changes for Linux 4.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bring it on quickly.

Comment

Does any Intel processor support VESA Adaptive-Sync? (this is also called FreeSync by AMD)

Comment

I didn't think Skylake had HDMI 2 support, I though it would only be available on Kabylake

Comment

Still, a year after the release of Skylake, grave bugs are present.

Now, a rant! I tend to use latest released kernels, with sometimes jumping the release+1 bandwagon, in late RC stage. Currently, I have 4.8.4 installed. My laptop is from HP, which has SKL hardware. As it's already known, SKL doesn't support VGA anymore, so HP added a VGA port, but it uses DP (DisplayPort?) interface. I needed to give a presentation today in a hall that has a projector connected to some kind of switch, so a different source can be selected, depending on where you sit. And the switches use VGA cable, of course. Now, I connected my laptop to the switch and to my surprise, no picture ... I couldn't get the damn thing working. After ranting a bit in #intel-gfx, I was let know that it was (supposed) to be fixed in 4.9-rc1.

Luckily (sadly?), I had a Windows install too, and by just switching to that install, I was able to get the laptop to output to the projector.

Comment

Yay, no edit.

And of course, people who were there and don't like Linux (and free software in general) started shouting "Yeah, you see ... It's an amateur attempt at an OS, you can't get those trivial things working".

Sorry for the rant, had to get it off of my chest. I don't think I'll dare to use Linux for such things in the near future, it was really embarrasing.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I didn't think Skylake had HDMI 2 support, I though it would only be available on Kabylake
              Skylake does not have HDMI 2.0 support, but some Skylake mainboards have a LSPCon (Level Shifter Protocol Converter) which uses DisplayPort internally and converts this to HDMI 2.0 output.

Comment

I like open source in general but similar to the reasons you describe are why I left Linux. I just need things to work. Though if I did go back I would use old supported hardware.

Comment

Skylake support has been a complete disaster from the start. I've got no idea what's going on with Intel these days.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Skylake support has been a complete disaster from the start. I've got no idea what's going on with Intel these days.
                    I agree, but in drm-intel-nightly things seem to actually stabilize now. I used to have issues with suspend, IOMMU, lots of "[drm:gen8_irq_handler] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun" errors, but now all these issues seems gone (you have to boot with intel_iommu=igfx_off). Only issue left for me is that my usb c -> hdmi dongle does not support resolutions above 1400x900 yet (this one: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93578)

Comment

Working...
                    X