No announcement yet.

KernelCare Is Another Alternative To Canonical's Ubuntu Live Kernel Patching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KernelCare Is Another Alternative To Canonical's Ubuntu Live Kernel Patching

Phoronix: KernelCare Is Another Alternative To Canonical's Ubuntu Live Kernel Patching

Earlier this week Canonical announced their Kernel Livepatching Service for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS users. Canonical's service is free for under three systems while another alternative for Ubuntu Linux users interested in a commercial service is CloudLinux's KernelCare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why do I need permission from a company to use a functionality of the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      You don't.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        Can you make and test the kernel patches yourself from upstream fixes? Because that's what you must pay for (also for RedHat and SUSE). The kernel patching infrastructure is open and you can use it fine just as you can use Kpatch on RHEL or derivatives or whatever is called Suse's for SUSE or derivatives.

Comment

While the patches are open source, Canonical's livepatch-client is not (source: the FAQ in the blog post that was the source for that article, http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/...livepatch.html ). While that isn't ideal, it's at least better from a security perspective than running proprietary software from another company, since "Canoncial turns evil and starts secretly doing bad things to your Ubuntu install" isn't the most appropriate of threat models --- they control the repos you use regardless.

Comment

Working...
          X