Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV 0.21 Player Adds CUDA, Better Raspberry Pi Support

Phoronix: MPV 0.21 Player Adds CUDA, Better Raspberry Pi Support

MPV Player 0.21 is now available as the latest version of this popular fork of MPlayer/MPlayer2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Easily the best light-weight media player out there - period!! Using it daily and mpv never lets me down :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
      Easily the best light-weight media player out there - period!! Using it daily and mpv never lets me down :-)
      agreed plus its works perfectly on wayland and hwaccel is top notch

Comment

Someone should make a media player software like Kodi, delegating the heavy work to mpv. The problem with RPi as a media player is, Kodi takes ages to start. I don't really understand what's the thing it's doing when starting up, but for instance on my Rpi the whole boot process to Kodi (the startup sound) takes around 35 seconds. Kernel and initd are ready in 10 seconds. Kodi takes around 20-25 seconds to boot and yet it doesn't even connect to the media server and there's no difference if there's internet connectivity available or not. I don't start up other services (the media uses DLNA when you enter the video menu) and the machine sets up static IP. It should be faster, but I don't understand why setting up the Kodi main menu takes so long.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Someone should make a media player software like Kodi, delegating the heavy work to mpv.
          Depending on what you mean by like Kodi, this may qualify: http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/en/mpv

Comment

Someone should make a media player software like Kodi, delegating the heavy work to mpv. The problem with RPi as a media player is, Kodi takes ages to start. I don't really understand what's the thing it's doing when starting up, but for instance on my Rpi the whole boot process to Kodi (the startup sound) takes around 35 seconds. Kernel and initd are ready in 10 seconds. Kodi takes around 20-25 seconds to boot and yet it doesn't even connect to the media server and there's no difference if there's internet connectivity available or not. I don't start up other services (the media uses DLNA when you enter the video menu) and the machine sets up static IP. It should be faster, but I don't understand why setting up the Kodi main menu takes so long.
            What set-up is Kodi running with? I use LibreELEC and I don't exactly recall 30-second startup times (I'd say about 10 seconds at the most).

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

What set-up is Kodi running with? I use LibreELEC and I don't exactly recall 30-second startup times (I'd say about 10 seconds at the most).
              Interesting. So you have Raspberry model B, too? And 10 second boot times from SD card? Do you happen to have a bootchart of the process?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Forgot to mention, my setup is RPi model B @ 900 MHz, tried various SD cards. I've also tried OpenELEC, LibreELEC, Raspbian and Void Linux. Void is fastest so far.

Comment

Kodi? That moloch? No wonder its lasy starting. MPV (developers) deserve(s) better future then only a video player (still no slave mode fot DVB streaming)...

Comment

MPV keeeps it simple. Kodi is awkward side, no wonder its lazy starting time. The code od Kodi is a real mess...

Comment

Working...
                    X